some amateur rod repairs pictures

Started by steelfish, November 09, 2016, 08:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Well everything started with the lack of local good service on rod repair jobs, so, I prepared myself to repair my broken trevala rod, I really liked how the job ended up, so I bought some materials to change all the guides on my personal favorite musky rod.
but some of my friend also liked the guide repair job so, they brought me their rods for some repairs, so I have to put my personal project on hold.

one was a small repair, just to change the striper guide on a 11' shakespeare spinning surf rod, nothing fancy, he already got one guide that wanted it on the place of the broken one.

the second one, was bit bigger job, the plan was to clean up all the green corrosion on the steel real seat, change all guides and refreshening the stock crosswrap coat.

now the rebuilded rod

my two friends were so happy with their repaired rods, man it feels good to help these guys, see their happy faces when they are checking the rod and still be paid for that, well before delivering the rods I show the rods to some other friends, and now, I have three more rods to fix, one 1 guide change and two of them with all the guides changed too.
and again, my musky rod project was put on hold for some weeks   :-\

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Nice job Alex! that's how it starts....soon you will be repairing rods and not fishing !

Bill B

Cool Beans brother....keep us posted on the rest of the rebuilds.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on November 09, 2016, 09:16:36 PM
..soon you will be repairing rods and not fishing !

no fishing?  well that doesnt scare me much, with an absorving daily job, 3 kids and repairing reels my actual days on the water are not big numbers per year
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: TARFU on November 09, 2016, 09:36:06 PM

sure I will, they will be ready in 2-3 weeks.

The Baja Guy

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

thanks Keith

remember guys, these repairs are been done on this DIY latte

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18922.0

The Baja Guy

Cor

Looks nice.   That is how I started repairing and making my own rods.   It is possible to repair broken rods fairly effectively as well, often it just takes some patience and careful "reconstruction" with ferrules and or sleeves.   I just finished repairing the tip of one of my own rods by replacing it with a piece of graphite from a a different older rod and it has become a perfect working tool again.    Not the most beautiful perhaps but will again catch plenty fish and saved $100 for a new blank.

It is a fun thing to do!
Cornelis

thorhammer

I have a couple of those old Daiwa blanks and try to grab them when I can. That's a really nice color scheme you put on to match blank, and I like the chromed Turbo's. Slick.

steelfish

glad you like it John.

my skills are nothing compared to the builds posted from many members here.
I expecting to get my first full custom rod build after xmas, best fishing season here is around late jan-may

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Alex, you will find starting from scratch with new stuff is WAYYYYYY easier than a refurbish / repair.....

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on November 10, 2016, 06:33:20 PM
Alex, you will find starting from scratch with new stuff is WAYYYYYY easier than a refurbish / repair.....

Im pretty sure of that, just taking the old guides out, then with tons of care and a sharp cutter take all the epoxic remainings until getting everything smooth on the blank, very light sanding to prepare that same zone to be wraped again, cleaning it with DNA, its tons of work, Im trying to be very clear with my friends that Im not charging what should be charge for the time invested, with that said, its still better than just watching TV at night, they are happy and Im happy, those repairs are funding my personal projects, wife is happy cuz Im not taking any money from my weekly paycheck, so, Im good.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: TARFU on November 09, 2016, 09:36:06 PM

well this are the ones that I just finished to repair, only thing original are the handles and reel seat, all the rest was rebuild, including a light paint on the rod

first a Penn boat power stick
it was already repaired few years ago, but the current owner dont know what the guy that repaired used on the guides, it was cracking and peeling uglily, same guides were used again but a new tip

now this is how it looks now

this is how it looks with flash (or in the sun light)

now its turn of the daiwa sealine boat rod

and this is how it looks now (I really liked how this rod turned out)

this is how it looks with the flash of the camera or on direct sun light

and the last was a small repair to a Tiburon rod (I didnt new about tiburon rods)

I am really happy the way those rods ended up but I know that they could have been better in some places, but the owner was really happy, better than factory he said, according to is some rods I have seen he was not that wrong.

before getting myself a new custom rod with new blank and accesories I will re-do some of my current rods, Im pretty sure they will be and will look 3x better with new guides and new wrap, my little girl 6yo just contract me for re-do his spinning glass rod (not toy rod) with pink thread.... of course I already have some new guides for it and the bright pink thread.
still dont know if searching for a purple or pink shrink tape for that rod or left the black EVA handles which is less slippery for a child, anyway, thats belong to another job.

hope you liked this current repairs, and if you have any tip, criticism or comment let me know, Im all ears and open to any recommendation.

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Alex those look great! I'm sure the owners are tickled. I just received my box from Voodoo and will be doing some custom paint finished with CP on the blank for durability, on Jon's advice. I will post the builds so you know how that works but it looks like the proper flexible finish for a repaint application

John

FatTuna

I have to say I'm impressed with how those rods came out. They look brand new again. I'd love to do this to some of my old rods. I've never built a rod before. How do you clean them up so nice?