Mitchell 302 Restoration?

Started by foakes, November 11, 2016, 06:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

With the thin metal side plate of a Mitchell, warping could be an issue. I don't know because I haven't tried it. Just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone else wanted to experiment with this method at some point. I wouldn't try it on anything valuable until you had thoroughly tested out the method for yourself and feel confident in it.

foakes

You are right, Kevin --

Try it yourself on easy to replace parts.

But for me, I don't like or want heat and dangerous chemicals around the shop -- some I have to use, but carefully.

So generally a $20 bill taped to a 12 pack, and a trip into town -- takes care of 4 reels for me.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

The Fishing Hobby

It will discolor chrome badly too so no chrome parts should be heated. Fred is right, if you have a professional nearby who can do it for you for a fair price, that is the way to go. I was just throwing the oven thing out there as a possibility that actually worked quite well for me in case anyone else wanted to try it out and report back.

Tightlines667

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on May 11, 2017, 07:12:51 PM
It will discolor chrome badly too so no chrome parts should be heated. Fred is right, if you have a professional nearby who can do it for you for a fair price, that is the way to go. I was just throwing the oven thing out there as a possibility that actually worked quite well for me in case anyone else wanted to try it out and report back.

I think Alan Tani has some experience using kitchen appliances to 'clean' reels, though this may have been the dishwater.  

His wife provided some 'feedback', if memory serves.

;)

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

The Fishing Hobby

Haha, I better do some searching thorough past posts!!!

Midway Tommy

Ha!..... Glad I'm a collector "purist" and don't have to deal with paint removal or modifying. I prefer them, especially the oldies, just the way they came from the factory, even if they show a lot of wear. Wear on an older reel, IMHO, just opens the door for a few reelly fish...y...stories!  ;D 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Johnj67

Thanks Fred
I do believe I have a spare, but if I don't I will let you know. I will have to search for a guy in my area. Great idea. If I used the oven I would be afraid of hurting everybody in the house, making them sick.
Thanks guys
John

handi2

I have a pile of the shafts also if needed. I started on these in the 60's.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Johnj67

Sorry just noticed I called the axle/shaft a spindle. Thankfully you guys know what I meant!

John

Johnj67

Looks like I'm going to need a couple 302 axles/ shafts....

florida

handle nut snapped off-- can I use the handle or just the shaft off any large frame Mitchell to replace it? would like to use a chrome plated 400 series

foakes

Right, Florida --

A lot of the large frame handles and crank parts will interchange.

Sometimes you need to play around with a few different parts to get it right.

Depends on the era the reel was manufactured in -- a few changes over the years.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.