New Tekota HG issue maybe?

Started by Lunker Larry, June 03, 2021, 09:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

This is the second HG600 I've received with the same issue. Idler gear post snapped off from side case. Screwdriver points to where it breaks off. I'm not a fan of this reel as it doesn't compare with the original 500/600 Tekotas. Lots of plastic and feels cheap.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Lunker Larry

A few more pics of the internals. Lots of plastic vice the cast aluminum of the previous conventional style.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

Wompus Cat

Man that is CRAP! How much does this Reel  Cost New.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

David Hall

YIKES!
I have half dozen of the older models, fish them regularly for salmon.
I purchased one of the new ones and fished it all last season, no problems with it so far, drag is a bit sticky but I planned to do some cleanup, so it appears the big weight reduction Shimano is so quick to stress and the the "improved" water resistance comes fro replacing metal parts with plastic ones?
I had high hopes and I do like the way it fishes, Butt, this is disheartening to say the least.

oc1

A post breaking is a design flaw for sure.  But, plastic and composite  parts are not inherently bad.  They are only bad when poorly engineered.  Plastics and composites can eliminate corrosion, reduce weight and, in some cases, be stronger and more wear resistant than pot metal.

Gfish

Yup. But a plastic post that breaks before the idler gear teeth? Bad design and more expensive if ya godda replace the whole side-plate. How much to repair LL?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Lunker Larry

Canadian price $18.00 then add shipping.
Shimano raised shipping and parts prices more than double in some cases.

(Note: I had an incorrect price when first posted. Changed to correct one)

akfish

The original Tekotas also had a very breakable post. I see quite a few like that in the shop. For the life of me I can't understand how it would break before the idler gear teeth shred; maybe it's not a design problem but a manufacturing flaw. Note too that these reels have two idler gears. The teeth on those gears do occasionally shred.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

foakes

I could never understand how a company with a solid reputation — like Shimano used to have — could even put their name on an obviously poor product like that?

When the accountants, marketing folks, and short-term quick profit folks — start dictating to the engineering department...

This is what we get.

Unreliable Tupperware marvels — the bling, price, and Shimano name brand sells the average unknowing angler — and the reel goes in the landfill — because Shimano will supply this plate part for $32 + shipping — but at the end of the day, all you have is an undependable reel that cannot be relied upon.  But that will not be an issue — since parts support will likely not even be offered after 3 years.

They have traded in their integrity and their principles of honesty — for quick profits.

A new generation of manufacturers has taken over much of the world.

Disposable products designed to self-destruct — so that we have to keep buying more crap.

IMO.  😄😄😄

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Lunker Larry

Bit of an update. Had 7 of these reels in so far and all had the same issue.

steelhead_killer

I've that many times on the old and new Tekotas as well as many shredded idler gears.

Andy
><)))">