Sleeveing Spool on a Talica 10II

Started by Bryan Young, November 13, 2016, 04:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

In today's lever drag reels, it's not very common for me to sleeve spools anymore as the shaft is normally cut with an integral spacer that acts like a spool sleeve. When working on a Talica 10II today, I noticed this type of shaft. Awesome!  NOT!!!   They cut the spacer way short. I had to add 14 shims to take up the space.  Now the spool has 0.05 play in the spool allowing optimum free spool at higher drag settings while supporting the inner race of the spool to keep it in alignment and to reduce the thrust load on the bearing.

I used 13 5x7x0.3 mm and 1 5x7x0.25 mm.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

One MORE reason to stick with star drags.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tightlines667

Thats alot o shims.  

I have run accross similar situations, though I can't recall which models off of the top of my head.  I admut to not taking the time to shim properly for maximum freespool, despite the knowledge that you and Alan have imparted.

I applaud your efforts.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

If I had thicker shims or if a good machine I would have sleeves it with a shot piece of brass tubing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 13, 2016, 04:28:45 AM
 Now the spool has 0.05 play in the spool allowing optimum free spool at higher drag settings

bryan can you tell more about how shimming the shaft helps to increase free spool at high drag?

is this noticiable only when casting or even when bait fishing ?

monstly the background of why the need to add shims
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

The spring that pushes on the inner race of the spool bearing mis aligns because the outer race is being held  by the spool. If the inner and outer races are in complete alignment then there would be no pressure on the spool bearing giving maximum spin at higher drag ranges.

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 26, 2019, 03:53:33 PM
The spring that pushes on the inner race of the spool bearing mis aligns because the outer race is being held  by the spool. If the inner and outer races are in complete alignment then there would be no pressure on the spool bearing giving maximum spin at higher drag ranges.

totally makes sense, thanks amigo

The Baja Guy

steelfish

coming back to you Bryan.

how do you know whats the correct size of the sleeve tube or in this case, how did you find out you needed 14 shims and not 12 or 15?
The Baja Guy

creech

shame on you shimano! especially the higher end lever drag model.