Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Maxed Out

Quote from: coastal_dan on March 20, 2017, 05:12:02 PM
Woot!  Finally ordered one  ;D

Dan, once you get it you'll wonder why you waited so long. Comparison to your stock setup is like night and day.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Rancanfish

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 20, 2017, 08:56:29 PM
Quote from: coastal_dan on March 20, 2017, 05:12:02 PM
Woot!  Finally ordered one  ;D

Dan, once you get it you'll wonder why you waited so long. Comparison to your stock setup is like night and day.

I think any one with a Baja in use should install one.  I bet if the guys on BloodyDecks knew about the upgrade Tom would be sold out ALL the time!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

coastal_dan

As I carried my Johnnie Walker and this new simply amazing bridge downstairs to the shop I thought to myself..."self, this will take a while...it may challenge you...let's get our game face on".  Having not fully disassembled my US113N yet I was ready for this challenge and to get a little more acquainted with this tilefish reel that I truly like.   Less than 20 minutes later and having not sipped my JWB yet, I looked down at the reel completely put back together with the new bridge and thought "self, you did something wrong, that was too easy...that was the simplest and fastest modification you have ever done...sigh...you screwed it up".  I then tested the drag...if felt amazing at 14-18 lbs...kept tightening...ended up with it cranked down hard and getting 23 lbs...it all still worked, cranked and held together while remaining smooth as butter. (I did end up adding Cal's to the drag washers after cleaning off some blue excess).  I think it had a little left in the star, but that was as tight as I was comfortable going.

"Self, holy crap this is cool..."

I'm blown away at the talent on this site...you guys knocked this one out of the park.  This reel was awesome, now it is flippin' awesome and a true tankified monster.

Thank you....thank you...and...thank you.  Kudos and job well done.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SCARau]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SCARcd]

Dan from Philadelphia...

coastal_dan

The more I think about it, this design update is revolutionary....the bridge simply slid into the reel...no holding the dogs up, no adjusting springs...just out...add the main and washers etc...then in. 

Sorry for posting again, I'm just kind of flabbergasted at how easy you made this.
Dan from Philadelphia...

TongassFisher

Dan, I'm in 100% agreement. Those double dogs that come factory are a pain. The Cortez assembly is just so simple to drop in and Call it a day. Mine, after install was very smooth with less play.

I do wish that the Baja/US senators were more popular so that the aftermarket would ramp up. Mainly I want to finish the reel of with some aluminum sideplates with Teds shifter of course!

A man can dream!

Cortez_Conversions

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Let's keep dreaming about side plates, maybe something will happen just for our Ohana here??
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

steelfish

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on March 24, 2017, 01:19:22 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Let's keep dreaming about side plates, maybe something will happen just for our Ohana here??

you already know Im available to test them  ::) ::) ::)

Awesome, still if is only a dream
The Baja Guy

Swami805

When the Cortez classic jigmaster came out I ordered one of these thinking I would use it in a 113h but I realized that it wouldn't work once I recieved it. Figured it was a good part so I started looking on the big site for a Baja special to put it in (cart before the horse or what?). Found one for $80 with a metal star and handle support bearing, kind of beat up on the outside but it felt ok and seemed like everything was working fine and was considering fishing it as is since I'd never worked on one. Last night I got motivated, clicked on Alan's tutorial (awesome) and got to work. Here's what I found when I opened it up.

Reel went back together perfectly but I'm not getting very good free spool. I couldn't get the little shield off the clicker side bearing cap and I think that's the problem. Any trick to getting those off so I can clean or replace the bearing?
As always many thanks for all the help and hats off to Cortez conversions for a great part
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cortez_Conversions

Sheridan,
Unfortunately, you've run into another flaw with these reels. That bearing retainer is pressed into the cup. If you have one of ReelSpeeds pullers you may be able to pull the bearing and shield out together.
PennParts has them in stock if you need to replace it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

troutman561

Is there anything of this nature for the 6/0 special Senator(114h)?

day0ne

Quote from: troutman561 on April 29, 2017, 08:15:47 PM
Is there anything of this nature for the 6/0 special Senator(114h)?

Completely different style reel, so no. However there are upgrades for the 114H.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Cortez_Conversions

There appears to be a drought on the stock bridges!

These are the Penn 113HN/US113 Senator Bridge Assemblys, NOT the 113/113H bridges

If anyone still has their undamaged stock bridge plates 3-113HN, I'll buy them for $20 a piece. The only critical feature is that the dog posts haven't been bent out of square. They actually deform the bridge plate and are of no use to me.

USPS First Class Mail works fine:

Tom Hryniuk
105 Birch Wood Ct.
Los Gatos, Ca.

Thanks everyone!
Tom