Dam Super or Finessa

Started by basto, November 15, 2016, 06:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi Guys
Can anyone tell me if the Dam Quick Super series is as good as the Finessa series? and which one came first?
Thanks
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Shark Hunter

Our Dam quick expert will be right with you. ;)
Life is Good!

foakes

Hi Basto --

The large green DAM Quick Super 270 was introduced in 1954.  Production continued about 9 years.

The mid size Dam Quick Finessa was introduced in 1956.  Production continued about 7 years.

Comparable quality -- oversize cup supported main bearings, steel worm shaft with bronze gears supported on each end.  Both have metal spools.

The Super was designed as a salt water reel with a change-out stand if broken, salt protected finishes -- the Finessa better for fresh water.

Only weak link on either of these reels would be the typical smaller drag system of the day.

Of course, the drag can be upgraded to greased CFs on either reel -- from the original hard resistex material.

Some Salt Anglers are waterproofing and hot-rodding the old Supers for Surf Fishing -- since they are such proven workhorses -- and just need a little modernizing.

There is a Finessa Series of 7 reels ranging from the little 110 up through the large 550.  This series was introduced around 1963 and has all of the previous features -- spools are plastic.  Good series.  The 330 in this series is comparable to the earlier Finessa -- the largest 550 is size wise similar to the older Super -- although the engineering is different.

I am fortunate enough to have any parts necessary for all of these, if needed by any AT members.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on November 15, 2016, 03:05:37 PM
Some Salt Anglers are waterproofing and hot-rodding the old Supers for Surf Fishing -- since they are such proven workhorses -- and just need a little modernizing.

That last one hopped up for the surf looks cool! :o
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

theswimmer

Basto,
I will attest to the overall durability of the Supers.
I have 2 that I inherited from my Grandpa and have continued to fish them hard both on boat trips and in the surf.
Fred has seen both and has a great supply of parts if needed.
I love using old school stuff and the Supers are a great reel.
Personal best on a Super was jigging for rock cod in about 200 feet of water and brought up a 12-13 lb ling no problem. I still have stock drags....
Best,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

basto

Fred
Thank you for a very comprehensive answer. I have great respect for your knowledge of these reels.
I was quite impressed when I saw a super recently.
I owned a 220 and a bit later, a 3001 skirted spool model when I was much younger.
thanks
Basto

basto

Quote from: theswimmer on November 15, 2016, 04:38:50 PM
Basto,
I will attest to the overall durability of the Supers.
I have 2 that I inherited from my Grandpa and have continued to fish them hard both on boat trips and in the surf.
Fred has seen both and has a great supply of parts if needed.
I love using old school stuff and the Supers are a great reel.
Personal best on a Super was jigging for rock cod in about 200 feet of water and brought up a 12-13 lb ling no problem. I still have stock drags....
Best,
Jonathan

Johnatan
Look after those Supers mate. I would love to get one.
Basto

handyandy

holy crap that last super looks sweet. Fred please do tell how guys are waterproofing them and what some of the common maybe not so common upgrades are. I'm going on a trip down to Louisiana camping at Grand Isle state park with some friends and fishing memorial weekend out by the oil rigs. Last year we caught a number big reds, going this year a little more prepared on the tackle and reel/rod choices. Taking a st. croix seafari rod with a penn 309 I've gone through with 60lb braid, need to get one more conventional rod to put the peen 209 I have on with 25lb mono, planning on taking another rod with my super I picked up a little while ago was planning on doing a drag stack of 5 carbon fiber disk. Along with two or three lighter rods for going after specks in the intercoastal areas. Curious about some of these surf mods for the super. Last year some of the bigger reds out at the rigs were putting my gear to the test lost a lot to break offs. This was before I started getting into the vintage reels or knew a thing about them. Only set up I had really had capable of reliably getting them in was a old ugly stik big water boat rod with a big daiwa spinner with 40lb mono that had been my big cat rod for a while. And another bigger spinner setup that was a cheap cabelas salt water spinner with 50lb braid on another heavy ugly stik big water rod. Planning on putting that super on one of those big ugly stiks.

foakes

Hi Andy --

There are some fellows who are hot rodding the Dam Quick Supers.

They use special bearings, seals, machined parts, special sleeves with seals, and more.

Basically can be can be dunked in the salt, particularly when Surf fishing -- or wading in waist or chest deep water with waves.

At least that is the claims -- and I have no doubt they are true.

Problem is, at least for me -- reels are not waterproof -- no matter what is done to them.  Salt water will eventually get in somewhere -- and if we depend on salt and water proofing to save our reel -- we end up with a corroded mess.

For me, just give me a large, over-built, strong, simple spinner with a minimum of parts to get messed up.

Upgrade the drags with Cal's, maybe make it a Manual Bail, grease every possible moving or non-moving area inside with Marine grease, grease the main bearing.

Then after each salt trip -- these are simple enough to disassemble, clean, and relube for the next trip.  Just like cleaning your firearm after hunting in the rain or snow -- just got to be done, it is our responsibility to our equipment -- and the simplicity of these Supers is astounding.

I have around 30 Supers, and many NOS parts that I will someday use to restore a few.

Other good reels in this class, are the Penn 700, 704, 706 -- greenies and blackies.  The Mitchell large spinners like the 302, 386, 402, 486, 488, and others.

The Quicks and Penns are simple to disassemble, forgiving, and have less parts -- hence stronger.

The Mitchells are very good also -- but have too many small detailed parts that do not like salt too well.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.