A Most Efficient System for Cleaning Metal Parts -- Quick & Safe

Started by foakes, November 20, 2016, 06:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez_Conversions

Fred,
Every US I've seen clearly states not to use flammable liquids.
If I read this correctly, you are also sealing the mix in a mason jar?
You do realize you've made a bomb, right? A pressure vessel in a heated environment causes
big boom.
Years ago we had an operator at work get severely burned by using isopropal
Alcohol in a US. Doing excatly what you are describing.
Please be careful!
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

foakes

You are right, Tom --

I never cap or seal the jar -- just leave it open, always when in the US cleaner.

Plus the US cleaner I use currently has no heating element -- and I have never used heat for cleaning.

So there should be no pressure buildup.

This is how many painters clean the small parts like springs, tips, and orifices on their airless spray rigs.

This works well for me, but everyone needs to use common sense -- including not smoking, do everything in a ventilated area, no heat, and no pressure build up by sealing a container.

Also, when using any type of mineral spirits -- all rags should be allowed to dry in the open air on something metal or rocklike -- to prevent spontaneous combustion.

Basic safety -- but I do not want folks to get the wrong idea...mineral spirits are not for everyone -- I have a lot of experience with them, and a lot of respect.  Plus I never leave things unattended when operating.

If you think this is still an issue, Tom -- I will cancel the thread.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cortez_Conversions

I don't think you should cancel the thread Fred.
I just wanted to make sure folks understand what you are doing.
BTW,the Ultrasonic process generates it's own heat. Left on for longer times, you will get heat generation.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

foakes

OK, Good, Tom --

Right, the US cleaner by itself gets up to about 85 degrees in the reservoir.

That is why I do not need a heater -- plus it is just one more thing to go out prematurely -- like most heating elements do regularly.

Maximum time on the ultrasonic cleaner is limited by a 6 minute analog mechanical timer.

It can be repeated as necessary -- but if that doesn't do the job in 6 minutes -- a longer soak in just a jar with vinegar or minerals spirits overnight, plus a toothbrush afterwards generally does the job.

19 times out of 20 -- 6 minutes is all it needs.

Caution, safety, and common sense are important here.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

Solvents will send off a lot of fumes when used in a sonic cleaner.  Acetone seems to boil when exposed to the vibration.  Haven't tried lacquer thinner.  I cap the jar but do not tighten the cap.  It is sort of a trade-off between making a bomb and making a toxic cloud.  Also, I don't use anything stronger than naphtha now.  Also, also, our workshop is just a screened-in hut with a big fan.
-steve

Shark Hunter

With Tom's concern for your method's Fred.
That is why I posted the first reply about using Industrial Cleaners in the Driveway and not the house.
I don't have any outside buildings.
I would love to try this method, but just inside the door from my garage is my Gas Furnace, and I don't want to blow up my house.
I'm just getting tired of going out in the Driveway with a can of Brake Clean and a Tooth Brush in freezing temperatures.
The Brake Cleaner will freeze your hands anyway and eats right through disposable gloves.
With a reel that is really gunked up, This is my only method so far, besides using Coleman fuel in a bucket, but that stuff is extremely flammable and I'm very careful with it. I don't smoke, but the last time I used it, my neighbor came over with a lit cigar.
I told him to put it out or go away. It is really just Naptha, but with the dangers of Gasoline.
Bottom Line, I need a Ultra Sonic Cleaner and a shed. ;)
Life is Good!

FishermanTom81

This post has convinced me to buy an ultrasonic cleaner.  I have looked around on the internet and I have found them with prices ranging from $80-$2500.  I am MOSTLY only doing freshwater reels, there will be the odd Tranx or Calcutta 700TE.  Other than size and the ability to add heat are all ultrasonic cleaners created equal?  If not does anyone have any recommendations for an inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner?

Thanks
Tom

exp2000

Quote from: FishermanTom81 on January 13, 2017, 07:34:15 AM
This post has convinced me to buy an ultrasonic cleaner.  I have looked around on the internet and I have found them with prices ranging from $80-$2500.  I am MOSTLY only doing freshwater reels, there will be the odd Tranx or Calcutta 700TE.  Other than size and the ability to add heat are all ultrasonic cleaners created equal?  If not does anyone have any recommendations for an inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner?

Thanks
Tom

I really prefer simply turning a dial rather than messing around with fiddly digital inputs. It's so much easier.
When I looked, you had to buy a 6 liter unit to gain any extra immersion depth so if you are doing a lot of larger game reels this would be an advantage as would an extra transducer in a larger unit.
I have not heard anything bad about Chinese Units but I paid a little extra for a local product so service and spares would be a smooth transaction.
~

joe k

Fred...or anyone else..i recently aquired a Branson 2510 ultrasonic cleaner with no heater..i saw in your picture you have glass jars inside cleaner..what is the solution in jars..?..and will the cleaner work with just 50/50 purple power and water..new at this procedure..any input would be great..thanks Joe

foakes

Generally, I just use purple degreaser cut 50/50 wit( water in open wide mouth jars.

Plus, Simple Green also cut 50/50.

I do soak any unpainted metal parts (aluminum, SS, steel, brass, bronze, copper, alloys) in lacquer thinner to loosen and break up the dried or old greases — prior to using the US cleaner.

If really bad and crudded up — I might increase the purple or SG up to 100%.

Simple green works well on some painted surfaces — not so well on others.  So experiment.

Many plastics will be ruined by SG, all plasticswill be ruined by purple degreaser or lacquer thinner.

Get some HD Blue Dawn dish soap if ever in doubt about a precious or irrecplaceable part.  Soak in hot water overnight.

You must be careful with US cleaners — they are very effective and quick — but monitoring and experience are key.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Reel 224

I have found that evoporust works in the US cleaner better then Simple Green, and it's safe. You can even reuse it over and over.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

joe k

sooo...you make a 50/50 mixture ..put i mason jars...the you put the jar with parts in in in the us cleaner...my has a basket...can i just put the 50/50 mix in the us cleaner tank...parts in basket ..let it do its thing...or is there something with putting parts in jar then in us cleaner..? little confused..

Christopher M Songer

I use a jar for all my small parts. You can use water in the tank if the jars and US cleaner are large enough for all your needs. My tank is small and some full frame reels do not fit in a jar.
Always go forward, never go straight

foakes

You can just put the SG or Purple, or whatever — into the main reservoir.

But it then requires cleaning out the reservoir of grease, crud, etc.

And a waste of much solution that just gets expensively used up.

I just fill the reservoir with fresh water — then I am able to use 1, 2, or 3 jars with different solutions at the same time. 

Plus, generally, I can get 10 - 15 reel cleanings out of each jar before it is used up.

And I have little or no clean up.

I do use a SS pasta strainer, or for smaller parts — a tea strainer to drain the parts into prior to rinsing in fresh warm water. 

It all really just depends on your personal preferences, how may reels you do, and the clean up that you are willing to do.

I can disassemble a Penn conventional completely in 5 minutes, put the badly greased metal parts into lacquer thinner for 20 minutes, then put the metal parts into SG or Purple in a Mason jar for 8 minutes in the US cleaner, along with the crank and Bakelite plates in a separate jar of SG also in the US cleaner reservoir — rinse, dry — and reassemble, lube, and tune.  Whole process may take 45 minutes for a complete.  And this is more than a clean and relube — it is a full job inside and out.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.