Adding anti reverse pawl to 6500c4

Started by Surfwrangler, November 20, 2016, 05:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surfwrangler

I recently acquired a 6500c4 with iar and I would like to add the silent dog. What is the best place to source those parts and what pitfalls/ difficultys are associated with this modification?  Seem to be some dead end posts on this already not sure if anyone has posted the full steps of the modification. Thanks in advance!

alantani

check to see if your bridge plate has the little stud for the pawl.  if it does, just toss one on.  if it does not, you may have to get a new bridge plate and pawl.  never looked at this before, so i'm not sure.  anyone else?   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Surfwrangler

Ok thanks Alan I haven't had time to crack it open yet so will try and get to it this week.

Indyfisher

I know the newest record reels have IAR and a dog the RCN blue-ish as well as 6500 inshores.The brake plates can be quite pricey. It might be more cost effective to mount your own post. If I can find a link or another source there is a way to do it yourself. A lot of this just depends on the year of the reel in question. Some newer reels have the post for a dog.

jzman

The dogs are available in the u.s.  Check ebay. the post last i checked are only available in sweden.Gonna cost bout 20-30 bucks after shipping.

http://shop.lundgrensfiske.com/product.asp?product=12012

You are better off buying the sideplate which has the post already in it.

The procedure is put the post in the hole. Turn the sideplate over.  Using a punch and a hammer deform the end of the post so it will be fixed to the sideplate. The caveat is you will need to find a way so that the sideplate is laying flat and the post is held in place so you can hammer the post.  If you dont you may end up having a dog post on a ruined sideplate.

Indyfisher

Careful buying random brake plates because some years have longer posts for the gear shafts. Then you will be cutting it as well.

Keta

Buy the dog and pin set in the link above.  

This will help,     alantani.com/index.php?topic=2631.0    
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Surfwrangler

so i cracked it open to find a set plate with no dog post.  i have a local tackle shop that has some set plates with dogs but they were unsure about interchangeability. anyone have a part number that they know works???

steelfish

Im in the same boat with my 6500c3
Already have the dog but my bridge dont have the post/pin

Im following this with interest
The Baja Guy

Keta

Order a pin from the above link.

I have yet to run inti interchangeability issue between C3 and C4 reels.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Indyfisher

Quote from: Keta on November 21, 2016, 07:00:18 PM
Order a pin from the above link.

I have yet to run inti interchangeability issue between C3 and C4 reels.
Fully agree with Lee on this. The kit is the least expensive way to go. Only certain plates have that pin and you're looking at almost double the price of the kit. C3 and C4 are same except a push button, gear ratio and an extra bearing.

Indyfisher

Quote from: Surfwrangler on November 21, 2016, 04:24:26 PM
so i cracked it open to find a set plate with no dog post.  i have a local tackle shop that has some set plates with dogs but they were unsure about interchangeability. anyone have a part number that they know works???
If it came from a reel with IAR it should work.

Surfwrangler

So I checked out the plates available and determined that there were not any suitable for the swap out because I have a left handed model and the pin would need to be on the other side. So I am just going to fish it as is and if the IAR fails I may order the pin from the link above.  Thanks everyone for the input.

Indyfisher

Quote from: Surfwrangler on November 21, 2016, 08:16:11 PM
So I checked out the plates available and determined that there were not any suitable for the swap out because I have a left handed model and the pin would need to be on the other side. So I am just going to fish it as is and if the IAR fails I may order the pin from the link above.  Thanks everyone for the input.
6501C4 ?;)

Keta

Mark Twain