Adding anti reverse pawl to 6500c4

Started by Surfwrangler, November 20, 2016, 05:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GulfOfBothnia

I have heard that in cold - below zero- conditions iar may start to slip.

Keta

Quote from: GulfOfBothnia on December 11, 2016, 02:12:25 PM
I have heard that in cold - below zero- conditions iar may start to slip.

They can slip and if a fast moving fish is on the handle hurts.  I fish albacore with  my 5601's and do not want to risk a broken finger.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: mley1 on December 10, 2016, 05:54:56 PM
Have there been issue's with Abu instant anti reverse bearings failing? I've been using Abu's for years and never had one fail on me. I've caught lots of heavy fish, bull reds, jacks, trout, small sharks......etc. I haven't had any problems with my instant anti reverse, but I don't button the drags down tight either. I'm just wondering how much of an issue it is with the targeted fish species that folks use that size reel for.

its all for the love of tinkering good reels and make them better, that's it
The Baja Guy

redfish12

Keta

Quote from: redfish12 on December 15, 2016, 01:38:04 AM
I'd buy three pins if they are made!
My machenest friend had a hard time chucking the material in his lathe and as of now Alex has all made.  I will see if I can find someone eith a smaller lathe.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Surfwrangler

Is it possible that the dog post is on the same side on both right and left hand retrieve models but the dog is just flipped/oriented opposite??? Or is there a clearance issue.... just brainstorming here.

tincanary

Quote from: jzman on November 20, 2016, 07:28:31 PM
The dogs are available in the u.s.  Check ebay. the post last i checked are only available in sweden.Gonna cost bout 20-30 bucks after shipping.

http://shop.lundgrensfiske.com/product.asp?product=12012

You are better off buying the sideplate which has the post already in it.

The procedure is put the post in the hole. Turn the sideplate over.  Using a punch and a hammer deform the end of the post so it will be fixed to the sideplate. The caveat is you will need to find a way so that the sideplate is laying flat and the post is held in place so you can hammer the post.  If you dont you may end up having a dog post on a ruined sideplate.

Does anybody know of a source for these studs now?  I went to buy some but I couldn't pick "United States" from the drop down during checkout.  Seems they don't ship to this side of the world anymore?

Robert Janssen

Dunno. Didn't see anything about it in their terms & conditions. Just email them and ask whydoncha. The guy who runs their web shop speaks english. Unless he is on vacation.

Corroded

I have an abu garcia 5500cs and i would like to buy a brake plate with a dog post on it. Does anyone know any compatible models i could use?

tincanary

Quote from: Corroded on September 07, 2019, 09:06:20 PM
I have an abu garcia 5500cs and i would like to buy a brake plate with a dog post on it. Does anyone know any compatible models i could use?

This should work: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/brake-plt-6500csrocketchrome-p-1436558.html

Corroded

Thanks tincanary! I ordered a plate and a dog ill let you guys know how it goes as soon as I put it together.

Corroded

So i got the chrome rocket plate with dog post to install in my 5500cs and i noticed when i put my drive shaft(from my 5500cs) onto the drive shaft post of the chrome rocket plate there was play at the top of the post. Comparing the 5500 post with the chrome rocket post it appears the chrome rocket post narrows at the top. Am I missing something? Maybe a sleeve to go on the post? I checked ereplacement parts diagram and it said the drive shafts are compatible for both models. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

tincanary

Quote from: Corroded on February 17, 2020, 06:50:44 PM
So i got the chrome rocket plate with dog post to install in my 5500cs and i noticed when i put my drive shaft(from my 5500cs) onto the drive shaft post of the chrome rocket plate there was play at the top of the post. Comparing the 5500 post with the chrome rocket post it appears the chrome rocket post narrows at the top. Am I missing something? Maybe a sleeve to go on the post? I checked ereplacement parts diagram and it said the drive shafts are compatible for both models. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Are you talking about back and forth play?  For instance, if you could pull on the star wheel and there's a little travel?  That's normal on an Ambassadeur.  Did you remember to reattach the E clip at the top of the post?  If you want to remove some of the play, you can install a shim at the top of the drive shaft under the E clip.

hurt locker

Recently bought set plates from TGC6000C (pt #25897) and anti reverse dog (#5134) to convert an Abu 6500C4 to having an anti reverse dog and an anti reverse bearing. While waiting for the 6500C4 to arrive i got curious and tried the TGC plate on a 5600C4 Winch, 3.8/1 with a Thumb bar and it fit and worked. I has the slot for the thumb bar pin already drilled and machined. It also worked on a 5600SSC3, 5.3/1. These 2 reels are set up for Bumping for Catfish . it is much easier to use a thumb bar reel for this type of fishing in my opinion. Cost for 2 set plates and 2 dogs plus shipping from Pure Fishing was $59.00