Penn 970/980 Upgrades

Started by thorhammer, November 14, 2016, 03:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez_Conversions

You guys gotta let me know about stuff like this.
I don't go thru and read every thread the way some do. My log in time only 26 days and change. If there are things you want brought to my attention, please contact me directly.
I'm hoping 2018 will bring bigger and better things!
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Decker

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 07, 2017, 05:04:33 PM
I think sideplates would be first. I have come across many with cracked sideplates.
Side plates would be a great idea. They could be used on 970 or 980 interchangeably, and help a supplier get a feel for the market (for frames  ;D).

swill88

It's a big shop. It's at the Fred hall show too.

I've bought from them without a problem in the past but, if somebody new has taken over there must have been a problem.

One other thought Decker, please be careful announcing a 'deal' you find on the auction site here. Maybe a member here is already tracking it and wants to get it. Once it's announced here...well.

Steve

Decker

Quote from: swill88 on October 18, 2017, 06:37:41 PM
It's a big shop. It's at the Fred hall show too.

I've bought from them without a problem in the past but, if somebody new has taken over there must have been a problem.

One other thought Decker, please be careful announcing a 'deal' you find on the auction site here. Maybe a member here is already tracking it and wants to get it. Once it's announced here...well.

Steve

Point taken... deleting the post.   My initial intention was to share a good deal, but maybe it was misguided.  Thanks.

Decker

Just got my hands on a 990... I can tell by the sound of it that it is one with SS stock gears ;D and the gear ratio is just under 5:1.  Compare to a magnum jigmaster ::) or a YTS...  Hmmm

IF someone were going to design a one-piece frame for a 970,980, or 990, it would absolutely amazing if the frame could be made in one piece that includes the inner rings. 

canoecaper

Absolutely right about that gap.  A real puzzle.

Penn retained John Holden, a UK champion caster and a qualified Pathologist, to develop this range.
He had been using squidders and stripped 930s.
There should have been a World beating narrower version, to cast up to 300 yards.  Maybe a 960.
Penn wimped it, much to John's exasperation.
The 970 requires real talent to top 190 yards.  Just too big.

Penn repeated the exercise with the 515 / 525 mags.
The late lamented Neil Mackellow created these.
The UK go to shore reel for filthy Winter nights.
Got the sizes right this time.

Still regularly fish with my 970 / 980s.  Heavy shore and boat casting.  24-349H helps.

Rgds.
Malcolm Hayward.

basto

Sounds like my Shimano Triton Mark 3S
Same size as a 15/30 and also comes in Jigmaster 500 size. Has alloy frame and sideplates, drags the size of 113h,and also comes in magged models.
Right plate has 3 quick takedown thumb screws.
I only use mine for reef fishing with 50lb braid. Pulls 20lb of drag stock.
They are a bit scarce. Made in the eighties.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Squidder Bidder

I'm going to bump this just in case Tom would consider making the 970 frames and/or sideplates.