Corsair CS300

Started by Squirmypug, April 03, 2011, 09:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirmypug

Anyone know about the Corsair CS300? I just found one and want to know if it is worth cleaning up and using.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

akfish

The Shimano Corsairs were not one of the better Shimano reels; in fact, at one point they offered a free trade in for another model. That said, if yours is in good shape and you don't have much money in it, go ahead and fish it -- with CF drags and good grease, etc.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Squirmypug

Thanks Akfish, I don't have any money into it.I found it in a box that has been outside for 5 years but it seems to be in great shape.I have started cleaning it already, maybe I can use it for a while anyway  ;D
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Nessie Hunter

Yep, the Corsairs were problematic and had some weak parts. 
Thumb button and Level wind gear come to mind?? 
They were replaced in a few years by the Corvalus, which was a little better reel.
Shimano offered free replacement for a while, but no longer..   
Now NO parts are available through Shimano..
Many parts to Corvalus and Cardiff will interchange....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

call shimano at 877-577-0600 and see if the reel is on recall.  if so, they might send you a new reel of another model. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

Alan I had 2 of them in the shop a several months ago...
Both had broken thumb Release levers, and 1 had  some other problem also???
Shimano said they do not have parts for them anymore (They dont allow them to be ordered), but for $35?? they would replace them.
Corvalus is what they replace it with for $35...
They are no longer doing a recall replacement FREE on them...
Stopped about a year ago??? 
If I remember right??? I know he told me and I was pissed I had missed it by couple of months...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Squirmypug

Thanks Alan and Nessie, I will call them sometime and see what they will do.