A Rare & Little Known D.A.M. Quick Reel

Started by foakes, November 27, 2016, 04:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Sounds like you have some decent and well-proven reels, CH --

Nice thing about the Quicks, is the ability to bring in a much larger fish than the reel was typically designed for.

This is due to the oversize bearing, steel worm drive pinion, bronze gears, frame supported pinion front and rear, oversized steel crank axle, positive spring-loaded A/R every 45 degrees at the underside of the main gear, tight tolerances,  built and designed by engineers who fish and test their products non-stop -- always looking to improve just slightly on a near perfect product, all in an aircraft grade aluminum casing built to last multiple decades of fishing.  Built with simplicity and common sense.  They just work...

Instead of the latest, modern, sharp looking, Tupperware Bling-Master from Wal-Mart or Big 5 -- just exploding the gears or watching as the reel locks up and desinegrates into pieces on the shoreline -- the Quick just quietly, capably, and routinely brings the larger fish we all hope to catch -- to the bank. 

No fanfare -- and ready to keep doing its job for many decades.

It is very possible, if some company was manufacturing a reel exactly like a 40 year old Quick today -- it would be in the $300 price range -- and well worth it.

I like the Italian reels such as Alcedo Microns, and others -- but parts are basically unavailable without another donor reel.

As for old bamboo rods -- they generally do not work so well for me because of their age and brittleness.

So I still go with a 5' Fenwick, Wright-McGill, WonderRod, Ugly-Stik, or similar -- only in glass, much more flexible and forgiving.

Post some pics when you get a chance, of your gear.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

CH

Quote from: foakes on January 06, 2017, 09:29:51 PM

Nice thing about the Quicks, is the ability to bring in a much larger fish than the reel was typically designed for.

This is due to the oversize bearing, steel worm drive pinion, bronze gears, frame supported pinion front and rear, oversized steel crank axle, positive spring-loaded A/R every 45 degrees at the underside of the main gear, tight tolerances,  built and designed by engineers who fish and test their products non-stop -- always looking to improve just slightly on a near perfect product, all in an aircraft grade aluminum casing built to last multiple decades of fishing.  Built with simplicity and common sense.  They just work...

Instead of the latest, modern, sharp looking, Tupperware Bling-Master from Wal-Mart or Big 5 -- just exploding the gears or watching as the reel locks up and desinegrates into pieces on the shoreline -- the Quick just quietly, capably, and routinely brings the larger fish we all hope to catch -- to the bank. 

No fanfare -- and ready to keep doing its job for many decades.

It is very possible, if some company was manufacturing a reel exactly like a 40 year old Quick today -- it would be in the $300 price range -- and well worth it.

Best,

Fred

Yes, you can catch some pretty big fish on good UL tackle. Believe it or not, I landed a 43 lb. German Carp out of a river one time with a Quick 110 - 4lb. test and a Fenwick rod. Took a long time and I had a buddy wade in and net land it in the end, but job done! Hooked the darn thing using a little soft craw under a crappie bobber.  As long as you're lucky enough to keep em out of snags or really fast current you are good to go. Feels great to bring in a big fish on light tackle using skill and luck.

Yes, I always knew Quicks were super great reels. Just never knew the details of just how fantastic they really are until I read your posts here.

Your posts made me pull an old 110 out of the drawer today that's needed fixed for years. Bail screw twisted off due to my son (when young) trying to tighten it up as it loosened and fell out one day fishing. Just ordered a new screw and rotating head ( don't think I can remove broke screw without messing up threads) off ebay. Might even be you if you sell parts there.

Old Fenwicks always were my favorites & still fish a couple. As far as the split bamboo, I see they still make what look to be decent ones in Japan for a decent price. But yes, I reckon finding vintage ones still usable would be a chore. I use to have one years ago that was fiberglass impregnated, if I remember right.

Sounds like you think upgrading to CF drag is best for 110 & 110N still being fished? ( I actually fish all my gear - none of it is collect to display stuff). If so do you sell these to fit these reels? Now what I do is keep the drag washers lightly lubricated with spray lithium... seems to work better that way than dry or 3in1 oiled.

I'll shoot some pics of some of my gear one day and post it up. Don't have a fantastic collection and of course I have nothing compared to you. Wish I did!

Thanks again for sharing all your knowledge. :)
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted