welcome to penn university!!!!!

Started by alantani, November 28, 2016, 04:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

You are right, Joe --

I too would prefer to buy only what is made in America -- but that is not practical or possible in most cases -- unless we really make most of what we use and consume ourselves.

Sitting here in my dining room -- as I look around...

My ipad made in China, by an American company that has its headquarters supposedly in Ireland -- why, corporate taxes are the least expensive for Apple.

My Panasonic TV is made in Taiwan, my Cuisinart coffeemaker in China, my Lands End and Arrow clothes are made in Vietnam, my shoes in the US, JC Penney's underwear -- who knows?, my cell phone is from China, my Toyota Tacoma was manufactured in Fremont, California (Toyota has 12 major manufacturing plants in the US, and two in Canada), my Subaru Outback was manufactured in Kentucky, and that is just a glance around the room and outside.

Dodge Diesels are made in Mexico -- and have been for over 24 years now.  Ford has major plants in Mexico.

The banana I am eating is from Ecuador -- Dole.  And it is a good banana.

Everything is mixed up across the globe.

As a consumers, we just have to try and hang on to the best values. 

It all boils down to corporate survival and profits in order to stay in business and provide a return to shareholders.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Not directed to Joe, Rudy, or anyone else, but this post remind me of animal activits holding their signs in the middle of winter while wearing leather coats, boots and purses ::).

Cheers!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tunanorth

Quote from: foakes on January 30, 2017, 05:28:45 PM
You are right, Joe --

I too would prefer to buy only what is made in America -- but that is not practical or possible in most cases -- unless we really make most of what we use and consume ourselves.

Sitting here in my dining room -- as I look around...

My ipad made in China, by an American company that has its headquarters supposedly in Ireland -- why, corporate taxes are the least expensive for Apple.

My Panasonic TV is made in Taiwan, my Cuisinart coffeemaker in China, my Lands End and Arrow clothes are made in Vietnam, my shoes in the US, JC Penney's underwear -- who knows?, my cell phone is from China, my Toyota Tacoma was manufactured in Fremont, California (Toyota has 12 major manufacturing plants in the US, and two in Canada), my Subaru Outback was manufactured in Kentucky, and that is just a glance around the room and outside.

Dodge Diesels are made in Mexico -- and have been for over 24 years now.  Ford has major plants in Mexico.

The banana I am eating is from Ecuador -- Dole.  And it is a good banana.

Everything is mixed up across the globe.

As a consumers, we just have to try and hang on to the best values. 

It all boils down to corporate survival and profits in order to stay in business and provide a return to shareholders.

Best Always,

Fred

Just to clarify, on PENN's "USA-built" models, all parts that are "reel parts", such as gears, sideplates, frames, etc, are in fact made here. Those parts that are "standardized machine parts" such as ball-bearings, screws, springs, etc, are purchased from industrial supply sources, and may be from a variety of countries [example, the BB's in Torque lever drags are German].
Am not sure, but are any reel manufacturers actually producing in-house their own ball-bearings, machine screws, etc?

Reel 224

I wasn't intending to get anyone's panties in a bunch. All the Penn reels I own are from 1950s or later, and I wasn't aware that Penn farmed parts out from China. As far as the other comments go for products made abroad. That is not up for discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Joe     
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Penn

Quote from: RowdyW on January 30, 2017, 02:19:11 PM
Penn is only "assembling" their higher end reels in the U.S. Most of the parts for Penn reels are produced in China.

Please share where you heard this rumor from?  We had a tour of 6 AT members come in last year and Fred Oakes at a separate time, ask anyone of them what they saw being manufactured in our building at the time, or better yet come visit for yourself the next time you are in the Philly area.

tony

Bryan Young

This is why I love my Torqs.  Made in the USA.

I'm not knocking where other reel manufacturers make their reels or parts.  But I do love my Torqs, Penn SS and Z series spinners, my 113Hs, Jigmasters, and my new edition, a 146 squidder.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Reel 224

Quote from: Penn on January 31, 2017, 02:00:36 PM
Penn is only "assembling" their higher end reels in the U.S. Most of the parts for Penn reels are produced in China.

Please share where you heard this rumor from?  We had a tour of 6 AT members come in last year and Fred Oakes at a separate time, ask anyone of them what they saw being manufactured in our building at the time, or better yet come visit for yourself the next time you are in the Philly area.

tony

Thanks for setting the record straight Tony, and by the way I was one of the people that was supposed to come with the group but had to cancel for health reasons. I would love to pay a visit to the Philly factory.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Decker

Not sure if this is on topic, but...   I got GREAT service from the Philly service center when I sent in my SSV reel for a gear upgrade.  Sent my reel in and was able to confirm receipt with a CSR in Philly.  A couple days later, I received a friendly call from the repair tech when the reel was done. I paid and they shipped same day.  Total turnaround from when I sent the reel to when I received it was not more than a week.  I'm in the Philly burbs, so standard shipping was quick too.  Reel went in scuffed and with broken gears, and came back shinier and cranking smoothly with the CNC-cut gears.  Thank you, Tony!

I'd like to add that when I sell vintage Penn reels, I always specify "made in the USA," as a selling point.  I think (and hope) that Penn/Pure Fishing management is wise enough appreciate the value of AlanTani.com to their brand! 

RowdyW

Quote from: Penn on January 31, 2017, 02:00:36 PM

Please share where you heard this rumor from?  We had a tour of 6 AT members come in last year and Fred Oakes at a separate time, ask anyone of them what they saw being manufactured in our building at the time, or better yet come visit for yourself the next time you are in the Philly area.

tony
Tony, why are H2, L2, & the latest Jigmasters refered to as China reels? Are you saying that all Penn reels are manufactured and assembled here in the U.S.?

Penn

100% of the H2 and Jigmaster reels are manufactured and assembled overseas.  My comment to you was based on this,

"Penn is only "assembling" their higher end reels in the U.S. Most of the parts for Penn reels are produced in China"

Our Internationals and Torques are what I consider "higher end" and I can assure you the majority of the components are made in Philadelphia or by local Vendors.  As Steve noted earlier... bearings, screws, washers, etc. we purchase outside the States and we have always been forthcoming about this.

tony

Penn

Quote from: Decker on January 31, 2017, 04:51:35 PM
Not sure if this is on topic, but...   I got GREAT service from the Philly service center when I sent in my SSV reel for a gear upgrade.  Sent my reel in and was able to confirm receipt with a CSR in Philly.  A couple days later, I received a friendly call from the repair tech when the reel was done. I paid and they shipped same day.  Total turnaround from when I sent the reel to when I received it was not more than a week.  I'm in the Philly burbs, so standard shipping was quick too.  Reel went in scuffed and with broken gears, and came back shinier and cranking smoothly with the CNC-cut gears.  Thank you, Tony!

I'd like to add that when I sell vintage Penn reels, I always specify "made in the USA," as a selling point.  I think (and hope) that Penn/Pure Fishing management is wise enough appreciate the value of AlanTani.com to their brand! 

Thanks for the kind words :)

tony

RowdyW

Tony, I wasn't refering to your high end reels only the ones that are the volume sellers. Maybe I should have sent it as two seperate messages.

foakes

If any of you get a chance to visit the Penn facility -- a few things will become readily apparent.

First, the pride taken in producing a World-Class product -- Penn could not keep up with the demand for Torq's, and Internationals -- even with extra hiring.  Employees have been loyal and on site for 10-20-30 years and more.  The skills involved in mass producing these products to the most stringent standards of excellence -- the operation of machines, brains, techniques, attention to the smallest detail -- are inspiring.

They also produce 12/0's & 14/0's in Philadelphia -- and more.

And to be able to strike a balance with production of very high quality reels in China -- and here in the US -- is amazing.  The success of the end result is the true test -- and this has enabled Penn to stay at the top of their industry.

This is due to the availability of parts long after other manufacturers have discontinued not only the reel line -- but even availability of a $5 part that renders a $1000 reel inoperable --

The reliability and soundness of these capable reels.

The new products coming into the market -- along with a loyalty to the past in recognizing what works well.

A knowledgeable and approachable management -- that really takes care of its customers.

Tony, Tom, Steve, and many others are just some of the folks that make this a great Brand.

Pretty difficult to balance the best of the old -- with the best of the new -- all while maintaining high numbers, good service centers, and constantly and proactively doing R&D as part of their everyday business model.  All while needing to produce a profit. 

Profit is not a bad word -- quite the contrary -- it is the fuel that allows a good company to continue to prosper and stay in business for their customers.

We are grateful for Penn -- along with their products and employees.

Just my opinions...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Well said Mr. Oakes!
I'll admit I do own a handful of reels that are not Penn, but the vast majority are. And there are many!

Being able to turn out a great product, and at the same time be profitable in this day and age, are only the company's that are the very best at what they do.

Penn has and continues to be a leader in the fishing industry offering the best products at affordable prices.

Tony, you and the complete Penn family are to be commended for your hard work and dedication.

We appreciate what you do and I can assure you when I hit the water looking for the big girl's, you will only find Penn Reels on my boat!

Best regards,  ..  Lou

Reel 224