Nostalgic Finessa 331s

Started by basto, December 02, 2016, 04:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi steve & all fishos, I have my rod with the runners up when using overhead casting reels, such as the pen 113H, the bail arm type spinning reels I have the reel on the bottom with the runners pointing down, the rod for a alvey reel, generaly has a short bottom handle, you pivot the reel to cast with your right hand high up on the rod & the left hand holding the line, when casting the left hand passes the body down near your leg, so the short handle doe not hit against your leg, as a long handle rod does, also the rod for a side cast reel, alvey, has larger runners, to accomadate the line coming of the larger diamiter spool, & the first runner is much further up the rod for that reason, cheers donnyboat.
Don, or donnyboat

SilverRidge

Question, this is a 331S how can you tell its a Finessa model, was there just a 331 standard produced? What does high speed mean for this reel, and I've seen the designation N at the end of the number on reels, what does the N mean? as you can tell I'm a newbie at this series of fine reels and there is zero info on the net other than this great forum ..appreciate your replies and patience ...

Paul

Midway Tommy

Quote from: SilverRidge on December 29, 2016, 10:03:26 PM
Question, this is a 331S how can you tell its a Finessa model, was there just a 331 standard produced? What does high speed mean for this reel, and I've seen the designation N at the end of the number on reels, what does the N mean? as you can tell I'm a newbie at this series of fine reels and there is zero info on the net other than this great forum ..appreciate your replies and patience ...

Paul

The Finessa is the body style and started with the 280 in 1956, and continued through the Ns into the early/mid '80s with various upgrades and/or changes. The skirted spool reels beginning with 1000, even though they have a similar body style, were not designated Finessa.

South Bend Tackle, along with Herter's, Cabella's and some others also distributed/sold Dam and Quick reels. While the red S sticker is on the high speed versions they were distributed by South Bend and some think the "S" indicates South Bend distributed. For those Finessa reels ending in a #"1" the "1" designates high speed.

Here's more Dam information and history than you probably care to read:  :)  http://home.kpn.nl/roland.lindenberh/index.html
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Paul

During the 50's and early 60's, D-A-M had the SW68, Standard 250, Super 270 & 275, Junior 240 & 245, small 238, medium 248, the Microlite 265 -- and the Finessa 280 & 285.

The Finessa was a good design to start a new series of (7) different sized reels from small to large.

This series was called the "Finessa" series -- although it does not reference the word Finessa on the reels -- just a model number -- paperwork and packaging do refer to Finessa.

This series consisted of the 110, 220, 221, 330, 331, 440, 550.

The older 280 & 285 Finessa were the same size as the 330 & 331.

In the late 70s or early 80s -- the Finessa series was retired -- and the "N" series was introduced.  N stood for "New Style".  (7) more reels -- 110N, 220N, 330N, 331N, 440N, 441N, 550N.  This was a completely different design from the Finessa.  Same main, bearing, and worm drive pinion -- but a different location for the A/R behind the rotor instead of at the main gear.  Plus other differences such as the bail trip assembly.  A few basic parts would cross over from Finessa to "N" -- but only a few.

All of these were made in Germany.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 29, 2016, 11:26:52 PM

Paul

The Finessa is the body style and started with the 280 in 1956, and continued through the Ns into the early/mid '80s with various upgrades and/or changes. The skirted spool reels beginning with 1000, even though they have a similar body style, were not designated Finessa.

South Bend Tackle, along with Herter's, Cabella's and some others also distributed/sold Dam and Quick reels. While the red S sticker is on the high speed versions they were distributed by South Bend and some think the "S" indicates South Bend distributed. For those Finessa reels ending in a #"1" the "1" designates high speed.

Here's more Dam information and history than you probably care to read:  :)  http://home.kpn.nl/roland.lindenberh/index.html

Thanks for clarifying that better than I did, Tom --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

I decided to modify my 331 to carbontex drag. It had plenty of room for 2 x 1mm thick washers and an extra fibre washer on the bottom and works very smoothly.

Fred, if you see anything of concern here, please tell.
cheers
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

foakes

That looks great, Greg --

Nice job.

If you used a light coating of drag grease such as Cal's, Shimano, or whatever Daiwa uses -- work it into the CFs with your fingers -- wipe off any excess -- it would be even smoother.

Try not to get any grease on the hard washer -- that is like greasing the brake pads on your car -- doesn't work -- just becomes ineffective.

That will be a good set up you have.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

basto

Thanks for your advice Fred.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n