Foul proof guide question - Ugly stik custom bigwater rod

Started by Wilmar, December 04, 2016, 12:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

Quote from: Jeri on December 09, 2016, 04:53:53 PM
Hi 'exp2000',

Low Rider guides were developed in the late 1990's bu Fuji, and patented, to overcome all the problems and issues associated with surf fishing with long rods, braid and spinning reels. Search 'LCSG' for the Sic version of these rings, they are also available in slightly less expensive and performing ceramic inserts.

We use the SiC variants on our custom rods for best care of the braid we are using and for the lowest friction value - we looked at the cost saving options - but you wouldn't put 'retreads' ona  new Ferrari???

Cheers
Jeri

Thanyou again Jeri.

I have spent the last few days trying to scrounge information on these but there seems to be precious little.

Surprisingly, the best info I found was published here, right in my own back yard so to speak:
Fuji's guide to solving wind knots:
http://www.westernangler.com.au/articles/tackle-and-tactics/360-fujis-guide-to-solving-wind-knots

I guess I have never seen these before because they are not all that common to start with compounded by the fact that I live in Baitcaster Land ;) but I will be sure to check them out next time I get to Perth.

I am surprised to hear that K series guides can still suffer from the odd tangle.

Investigating this almost makes me want to take up custom rod building again

..... almost!

Thanks again for the great info.

Brett
~

Jeri

Hi Brett,

An interesting article, it refers to a video from Fuji  -

which does show a lot of the issues and how the Low Rider rings solve tyhe problem, especially on long rods.

However, personally I have a theory, that in the English speaking world, we all grew up with big first eyes on spinning style rods, and these were the 'accepted' norm, and nothing else would suffice. So, when Low Riders came along, they really challenged people's perceptions, and common comments were to the effect that 'how could such a small ring effect better cast?' Stick with a big first eye, and live with the occassional problem. On the flip side of the coin, Continental Europeans and other not English specking surf anglers have embraced Low Riders and found them to work with amazing effect. - Is there a language issue, or just old fashioned bias and resistance to accept change???

Personally on long surf rods, casting braid off a spinning type reel, I have been using rods built with these guides for over 5 years, and never - never had a wind knot or wrap knot situation - in absolutely all conditions except pouring rain - which we don't get here.

However, we did challenge and adapt some of the original 'Fuji Spacing Recipes' to the point where we are now fitting some rods with the first guide over 2.0 metres (79") away from the reel, where Fuji recommend 1.20 metres (47"). And all we have found is that distance potential of the rod blank just increases.

A particular point here is that we do use more fast to extremely fast tapered blanks than the normal through action tapered surf blanks favoured in other places in the world, so the blank design will have a impact on design spacing of the guides, and subsequent performance. Additionally, we use rod blanks with quite quick recovery, due to the very high carbon content, and strength combinations in the design - this might also be having influence on our design success with these guides.

The issue I have with 'K' series is that they were designed for shorter rods, and to encompass this 'big ring' concept that folks felt they need on a rod. We have done literally dozens of conversions to surf rods from 'K' series to Low Riders, we have a box full of second hand 'K' guides, some with very damaged first guides, where line wraps have occured with considerable force and even bent the frame.

Even in the shorter rod situation with lighter lines, rods of 10' or 12' we have had great success with using combinations of smaller Low Riders and the single leg Trout rod guides, to the point where they are out performing identical blanks with either traditional high guides or 'K' series.

As to your being a cured addict from custom rod building - just build another one, and you'll be addicted again.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

ez2cdave

Foul-proof guides . . .

Tight Lines !