99 Jigmaster Spacer Bars

Started by Decker, December 06, 2016, 07:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Quote from: reel man on March 20, 2019, 06:03:58 PM
The bars for the Silverbeach and 112H are the same width, will not work on the 500 Jigmaster.

Right, but the 37A-12 bars will fit the Jigmaster, with a 30-66 seat and a 99-width spool, like the picture in the first post..

thorhammer

Mike looks like Newells to me.

reel man

Not to belabor the part # you're referencing was for the 12 International. Penn did make chromed bars for the jigmaster with 3 oval holes

Ron Jones

Mo,
Those look like Newell 112H bars to me.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mhc

You've probably already looked Mo, but have they got CN marked on the back? I've just looked at a few newell bars of different sizes and some are marked CN and some aren't. I've dug up a set of newell bars that have the screw spacing to fit a 112H (but are JM 500 width) & they have "CN 3/0 :::." on the back. I'm assuming they are for the wide 112H kits they made - 'Bluefin Special' I think they were called. I took a quick photo with flash but it's not very clear.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mo65

Thanks for the tip Mike...and no...I hadn't looked. As soon as I saw that "CN" I knew what I had. The part that still has me in mind control is the "140" part...if these are Squidder bars they're a bit short! Maybe they went to a kit that narrowed a 140 to a 145.
  Thanks for bringing up this topic Joe, it has answered many spacer bar questions, all great info! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Quote from: mhc on March 21, 2019, 11:43:52 AM
You've probably already looked Mo, but have they got CN marked on the back? I've just looked at a few newell bars of different sizes and some are marked CN and some aren't. I've dug up a set of newell bars that have the screw spacing to fit a 112H (but are JM 500 width) & they have "CN 3/0 :::." on the back. I'm assuming they are for the wide 112H kits they made - 'Bluefin Special' I think they were called. I took a quick photo with flash but it's not very clear.

Mike

Obviously Carl's designation was indicative of the size reversal on Left coast vs Right...No one in their right mind would take a 3/0 of any sort for Hatteras BFT, even if was fully rodded in 2019 tricks. Maybe not even a 12/0. Whereas, a big YFT here is 80 lbs. Some designations like YTS and Wahoo Special make sense, but the BFS, Broadbill Special, and Black Marlin special I would consider knives in a gunfight, respectively. Academic question, maybe, but Carl did these kits for extra capacity and reduction of frame flex vs. stock bars. With the amount of drag capable now with inserts, carbon drags, etc etc for these drivetrains, is it enough to counter flex on these extra wide paltforms using braid 2-3 classes heavier. I'm building out a Newell kit on Tom 4/0 plates at the moment but planning on running 60lb mono on it fo rmy specific app.

John

Someone remind me what the wide jiggy was called?

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on March 21, 2019, 01:46:11 PM
   Thanks for the tip Mike...and no...I hadn't looked. As soon as I saw that "CN" I knew what I had. The part that still has me in mind control is the "140" part...if these are Squidder bars they're a bit short! Maybe they went to a kit that narrowed a 140 to a 145.
  Thanks for bringing up this topic Joe, it has answered many spacer bar questions, all great info! 8)

Mo, yes, there is a Newell mid-size bar for the Squidder 145 marked "140," which is what you have.   It will also fit the Surfmaster 150 and the Monofil 26 and Beachmaster 160 & 165.   That bar is wider than the Jigmaster bar.   I get hooked because I'm always looking for new ways to put my legos together.  ;D   

I favor the mid-sized Squidders and Jigmasters over the full-size ones.  They are more comfortable to manage, and with braid they have plenty of capacity.

Fishy247

QuoteSomeone remind me what the wide jiggy was called?

I'm pretty sure that the wide Jiggy is the Bluefin Special. Before the recent run of BFT in SoCal, the main way that they'd fish for them is on the long soak. You would basically have to dump half your spool just to get bit. Combine that with needing to drop down your line class because they were super spooky fish, and you'd need the additional capacity.

JoseCuervo

Quote from: Fishy247 on March 21, 2019, 04:34:45 PM
QuoteSomeone remind me what the wide jiggy was called?

I'm pretty sure that the wide Jiggy is the Bluefin Special. Before the recent run of BFT in SoCal, the main way that they'd fish for them is on the long soak. You would basically have to dump half your spool just to get bit. Combine that with needing to drop down your line class because they were super spooky fish, and you'd need the additional capacity.

I was thinking Pearl Harbor Special-

Rob

reel man

The extra wide Jigmaster kits were called Yellow Fin Tuna kits. 2 3/4"

Ron Jones

The Blue Fin and Tuna specials are based on the 112H. I believe the Tuna special is 500 width and the Blue Fin is Yellow Fin width. I have a Tuna Special that I really enjoy fishing. It has 600 yards of 80# power pro and a good bit of 80# Big Game on top of that. I also have a Marlin Special, which is a Tuna Special width 113H. That is a lot of spool to get moving, but the retrive is about as fast as you'd want for a live bait rig (it has 4:1 gears.)
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Swami805

I thought the 500 was the yellow fin special, 3/0 blue fin special, 4/0 broadbill special, 6/0 black marlin special all Newell wide versions of the penns. Or something like that
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Ron Jones

There were different widths of wide. There were multiple Jigmasters, I actually don't know there names; the 112H could be made wider with the Tuna Special and wider still with the Blue Fin Tuna Special; the 4/0 wide is the Marlin special and wider is the Broadbill Special. I'm actually not sure if there was a Marlin Special width 6/0, although I would love that reel, I am only aware of the Black Marlin special. I seem to remember reading an interview with Mr. Newell where he said that people need to stop getting hung up on the names as being applicable for the fish. No one not trying to pull off a stunt would go after a Broadbill with a 4/0 anything, they were just named with the names of cool fish as they came along. The albacore special was apropriate because it was made LONG before Newell came up with it.

I have several Penn reels with Newell kits and all the new SS you can stuff in them. I am confident that the bridge would tear out of the sideplate before the frame or bars fail.

Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
"

PacRat

99 width is one of my favorites. Here's some history that I've put together from several articles:
Here's a brief history of the 99 size reels which will either clarify it or completely confuse you:

Penn made a 99 model also known as a Silver Beach. Width wise it is between a 500 and a 501 also the spool diameter is the same. The left sideplate has an inner & outer ring on it and the reel also has a 1-screw take apart just like the Jigmasters. The other major difference is the main and pinion gears in a Penn 99 Silver Beach are the same as a Surfmaster with a 3:1 gear ratio. Most of the "99's" that you see today are converted 500's or 501's with either 4:1 or 5:1 gears in them, same basic reel as a Newell 332 size wise.

In southern California during the 60's and 70's, the Jigmaster 99 conversion was a favorite among the old Japanese guys that fished the day boats out of southern California.  They would pull a side plate off a Jigmaster and slap it on a 99 frame and spool.  It made a great 25 to 30 pound reel. Straight 30 pound mono was the line of choice in those days, and the 501 just didn't hold enough, while the 500 held more than was needed for albies. The 500's, drag was much better, and of course faster gears too.

The late, great Jerry Morris is credited with coining the term "Albacore Special" after mating Jigmaster 500 sideplates with a Penn 99 Silver Beach spool and frame circa 1966.

The first commercial use of the name 'Albacore Special' was a Newell kit. Carl Newell (a good friend of Jerry's) made bars, base and spool and called it a Model #99 Albacore Special.  This kit fit Penn Jigmasters to make the 99 size which is between the full 500 and the 501 sizes. On a Penn 99 Silver Beach sideplate the bar screw holes are set too wide apart (center to center) for Newell 300 Series or Jigmaster bars, but Newell 145 (Squidder) bars will fit them. Also, the base on Penn 99's have three screw holes, not two like all the other normal Penn reels of that size.

The 99 width is the size of a Newell 332 (2 1/8"), which is a very desirable size in the 300 series. Carl Also made the Newell 338 (2 7/16") which is the identical width of a Penn 500, and 322 (1 5/8") which is the same width as a Penn 501. A 99 Albacore Special is Penn 500 Jigmaster converted with Newell kit, or any of many other companies and machinist that have made frames for these fine reels.

These are amazing reels, especially when you look at the timeframe that Penn and Newell started making them. At the time these were considered the absolute best reels made.