Is a Phenix Abyss PSX809 20-50lb rod good for the central California coast?

Started by pjstevko, December 07, 2016, 04:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I'm thinking of picking up a Phenix Abyss 809 (8' 20-50#) and was wondering if it'd be a good jig/swimbait (up to 10oz) rod for trips out of Morro Bay for rockfish and lingcod?

It'd get paired with my upgraded 501 with 30# mono / 50# braid......

I want a rod that's a little longer to clear the other anglers rods and tangles when fishing on the Morro Bay party boats.

Is that rod a good choice?

Pj

pjstevko

MarkT

I have a couple of Black Diamond 809's. The only Abyss I have is a 807 that I use with a Fathom 12. The Abyss seem more like bait sticks than jig/plastic rods.  They have a pretty soft tip.  The Black Diamonds are stiffer and better for jigs.  I've used my 809's with Lexa 400, Accurate BV300 and DX2 400, Avet SX Raptor. That's a psw809h in my avatar pic with the DX2 400.  You'd have to put a bend in it and see if it's to your liking.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

look at the axis line, it's between the abyss and black diamond...

tight lines!

MarkT

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

pjstevko

I'm gonna have to delay my rod because the other models suggested are a little too much $$$....

SantaBarbarian

The sticker shock of a good rod is soon forgotten where the joy of a good stick lasts forever.

MarkT

You should visit a shop carrying the models you're interested in and pull on them to see which you like best. Of course, given where you live, that might be a challenge.

pjstevko

Quote from: MarkT on December 12, 2016, 01:12:57 AM
You should visit a shop carrying the models you're interested in and pull on them to see which you like best. Of course, given where you live, that might be a challenge.

A challenge is an understatement..... I have to go all the way to Fresno to even get a look at a decent saltwater rod...

MarkT

They have saltwater rods in Fresno? I thought all they had was raisins.

pjstevko

Quote from: MarkT on December 12, 2016, 03:36:16 AM
They have saltwater rods in Fresno? I thought all they had was raisins.
And tacos but very few saltwater rods!

SantaBarbarian

If you can wait a while, Bakersfield – March 10 – 12, 2017 – Fred Hall Shows is coming to your area. It may be worth checking out. I don't know which vendors will be there but it may be worth the trip. That being said, the grand daddy of them all is in Long Beach prior to the central valley show. Every major rod maker goes to the Long Beach FHS to show off their wares.

pjstevko

I'll have to check it out,  can't go to SD but Bakersfield is doable...

theswimmer

PJ,
I'm probably going to go to the show in Long Beach on a one day turn around. You want to catch a ride ?
Makes to about a 20-22 hr day but if I have someone to spell me a bit on the driving I'm good.
Ask Big Tim , long days are OK with me when it's fishing 😎

Best JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn