Freshwater rod and reel combo?

Started by broadway, December 08, 2016, 01:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Hey Penn guys,
  I need a freshwater rod and reel combo to give as a gift.
My brother in law fishes a few lakes in the Poconos with his son for bluegill, small pile, bass to 4 or 5 lbs max.
He likes to go light so not too heavy of a rod and reel.
I want looking at the penn battle II 2000. Is this too much for what I'm looking for?
Also, he likes a 6'6" rod for 6 lb test.
Thanks in advance,
Dom

Keta

I use Battle II 1000 reels for bass, they are .7 oz lighter than the BTLII2000 and work well. I also have a BTLII4000 I use for albacore, people told me it was too small but several dead albacore tell me it was a good choice.

As for rods Fenwick makes some nice mid range rods, I have 2 Elite walley rods that I like for bass. Both are extra fast action.

One ofe these would work,       www.fenwickfishing.com/fenwick-freshwater-rods-fenwick-hmg/fenwick-hmg-spinning/1363884.html#specifications 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mo65

Does he fish modern gear or vintage? For bass and 'gills a small Z series Spinfisher would make a vintage guy very happy. For a modern gear fan...a new Mitchell 300 combo is hard to beat...price wise and performance wise. I have a new Mitchell 300X(actually 5+ years old...about 3 models ago) and it has been fished hard, like a daily driver, caught hundreds of fish and never a hitch. If he's a guy "in the know" and likes a little pricier reel, a Pflueger President is one of my favorites. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

I purchased a couple of Prion combos a little while back for me and my son, I wasn't crazy about the reels, I sent those to Lee :).
The rods feel nice though, I believe they're 6' / 6-12 line.  We use those with 430ss and 716's, nice and balanced.
There are many combo's out there, he has to like the feel.  Take him shopping wiyh you. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 08, 2016, 01:55:31 PM
I purchased a couple of Prion combos a little while back for me and my son, I wasn't crazy about the reels, I sent those to Lee

One was given to a friend of mine's grandson for trout, the other is on my shelf.  Nice reels but small, just right for creek trout.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broadway

Lee, thanks for the quick reply. I thought the 2000 was the smallest so now that I know I'll be looking into the 1000. A skilled angler can do amazing things with inferior or undermatched gear ;)
Mo, I'll give a look see at your recommendations but was kinda trying to stick to Penn. I should've been more specific.  I also like the Mitchell 300's though I don't own one I have used one.
Sal, I'm sure lee could catch a salmon or salmon shark on those little puppies.
I know I should be going shopping with him but we see them about 3 times per year so that's a tough one. I'm sure with all of your help I can get close to what he would pick.
Good call on the fenwicks, Lee.👍  I'll also check out the prions, Sal.
Other suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks guys
Dom

Penn

Hey Dom,

You could also go Conflict 1000 for an even lighter setup, pair it with an ultra light Ugly Stik and it will be a blast.

http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-rods-spinning-rods/ugly-stik-gx2-spinning-rod/1363867.html#start=6

tony

Keta

I also have a Conflict 4000, it is worth the extra $ but the Battle II is nice for the price.

Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

just penn combos?

tight lines!

philaroman

IMHO, light F/W rods are not Penn's forte

VINTAGE: for that type of fishing, if your B-in-L doesn't need Fast Action, old-school premium "tobacco" or "honey" glass is AWESOME (Fen, Lami, Croix, Conolon, etc.)...  rebuilt w/ modern guides is even better...  get the rod first, then ask Fred for an appropriate reel

MODERN: too many options to be guessing what will suit another angler's preferences, unless you do that type of fishing, yourself, and KNOW what works well.  a good gifting strategy would be to get the brand & specs of his go-to favorite from sis/nephew & go a notch or two higher -- e.g., if he likes Fen. Triumph/Eagle get him Elite/Legend w/ same specs.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

my 2 cents get a salmon/steelhead rod...longer better for UL gear.

broadway

The conflict is a bit too pricey. We're looking to spend about $150 and it doesn't need to be penn but if possible I always try to go that way. ;)
Thanks for everyone's help,
Dom

Penn

Dom,

Battle II 1000 paired with an Ugly Stik ultra light will fit within your budget.  I only brought up the Conflict because it is slightly lighter. 

tony

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

paid $39.99+tax for my Okuma salmon/steelhead rod... :o :) ::)

philaroman

Quote from: Potiguar - AKA MeL B on December 08, 2016, 03:37:50 PM
my 2 cents get a salmon/steelhead rod...longer better for UL gear.

X2
I was sticking to Broadway's 6-footer parameters, but I love my old tobacco glass Feralite & modern IM-6 12' Noodle Rods & shorter L/ML Steelhead rods...  If that's the way you want to go, here's the DEAL OF THE CENTURY:
http://www.fish-united.com/products/Cortland-ProCast-Noodle-Rods.html

Cortland is out of the non-fly business (and floundering, in general, despite decent products); their ProCast/Endurance Noodles got good reviews at the original $90 MSRP; then FishUSA was blowing 'em out for $50; then, $35; then, GONE...  so $21+extra S/H directly from Indonesia is most likely a genuine super-bargain -- not a scam!  ...probably way better than low-end Okuma

that would leave well over $100 for a reel