500/501 jigmaster

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DolemiteSF0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gman_WC

Thanks Alan, What a guy.
I've got to say that the little silver Tiburon frame
makes the 501 a tuff looking little reel.
I"ll post a before and after pic's when it's done.
Thanks again -gary
Walnut Creek, CA

Gman_WC

After some greased carbon fiber drags, a SS gear sleave, and the Tiburon frame,
the 501 is now ready to party in Baja on schoolie dorado.
Here is the before and after.
Thanks Alan. -g

Walnut Creek, CA

Alto Mare

Nice looking reel Gary, looks like Alan hooked you up with some nice parts. I hope you enjoy it for many years, take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Hi all,
I got a set of Newell 5:1 S/S gears for my 500 and was found that the pinion doesn't fit (as per the earlier posts re: the Penn upgrade gears).
For whatever reason, I thought the Newell kit would slot right in.
It fits on the spool shaft fine, but doesn't fit over the right-side bearing, nor does it fit over the shoulders of the spool shaft.
I assume that only option is to slip the collar off and open out the gap on the top of the pinion, then expand the ID about 1/8th of an inch down into the pinion with a drill press to accommodate the bearing.
Before I start butchering this beautifully made kit, is there anything other insight/advice I should consider?
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Hey Justin, may I ask where you got that kit from? I've heard of mismatched sets before. The 5:1 newell kit for the Jigmaster should fit right in. Was your Jigmaster assembled before you decided to upgrade, or did you have the parts laying aroud. Another possibility could be that have the wrong spool :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Thanks Sal - I hadn't considered that.
Panama picked it up for me direct from Newell (thanks again mate!).
I built the reel out of parts, but had matched red side-plates and gears - now in one of Alan's Tiburon frames.

The spool has the 500 part number on it and the Newell pinion also doesn't fit on the right-side bearing (tube), which made me think perhaps it was a 505 set.
I'll tear it down again tonight and recheck all the part numbers.
I think I've got a 505 spool in stock, so I'll try the gear on that.
I'll also hold off on any alterations until I get to the bottom of it all - 'measure twice, cut once' as they say...
Thanks again for the input.
Justin

Alan J

The spool gear clicker racket on a non aluminum  jig master spool has come off. How can I fix this?

AZTunaBaron

Hi Alan, thank you for the great detail provided in this post. I have two 500's that I'm going to clean up. One has been "serviced" once, the other never, and respectively have been fished about 25 and 15 times. We'll see what they look like when I open them up. I'm excited to learn to do this on my own. I noticed the schematic link from page one no longer works, do you have another link? I ordered two sets of carbontex washers from smoothdrag, Cal's grease and I have Penn oil and Penn grease. Do you think I'm ready to go, or do I really need the corrosion X too? I live in Phx, AZ so I don't think rust is an issue. Thanks.

redsetta

G'day AZ,
The schematic is available here (ie 500L): http://www.pennreels.com/exp_views/conv/500L.pdf
Or here for the earlier 500 model: http://www.nutterrodandreel.com/pdf/Penn/Product%20Diagrams/500.pdf
The 500 doesn't have ball bearings, so a drop of your Penn oil on either end of the spool shaft (or straight into either bearer cup) should do the trick.
CorrosionX and/or ReelX are top-quality products, however, and certainly worth having on hand...
Good luck!
Justin

AZTunaBaron

Hi Red: thanks for the reply and link. I probably should have mentioned, even though I live in AZ, all of the fishing done on these reels has been offshore. Mostly 2day trips from SD. Don't know if that amount of exposure is enough to cause rust?

alantani

all it takes is a little left over salt from "that last trip last year!"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

AZTunaBaron

Ok, so I opened both of them up and following your tutorial was easy and took less time than I imagined a few episodes of Fri Nite Lights and 24 and I was done, or so I might be. I didn't have an accident as you describe, so I didn't lube those parts of the reel. Would it be a better idea to have the "accident" and lube all those parts? Also, I could not find anything small enough with enough ummph to pop out the retaining pin of the sleeve. So that part of the reel remains untouched too. One reel looked really good on the inside, the washers looked good, but I still switched them out with "carbontex" ones I purchased. The sleeve looks good, etc.... The other reel was not so clean, green spots here and there, which confuses me because I associate that color with copper....So those two aspects of the tutorial I didn't do, is it imperative to do? These are 500L's and about 5 & 3 years old.

The drag feels considerably better than it did-I guess "smoothdrag" is apt   :)

Norcal Pescador

If you do take them apart like an "accident" then you can inspect them all and give all parts a very light coat of grease for protection. The parts greased for lubrication are mostly just the gears, drag washers, eccentric and jack. Don't overdo it, though. The rest just get a light touch for protection. You're right on the green gunk meaning copper (brass). Most parts are brass-based and may have a nickel plating. If there's green, there's corrosion of the brass. Clean those parts well. Brasso, steel wool, whatever.

The gear sleeve retaining pin takes a little force sometimes to get it started out. Try pushing it out from both sides. If you can get it started with an old ball point pen or a small nail or tack then you should be able to grab it with needlenose pliers and pull it out. Once the gear sleeve comes off I like to clean the post and the inside of the sleeve well and give the post a few drops of ReelX or CorrosionX before the sleeve goes back on.

Carbontex! 8) Great stuff!

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD