Some old/new rods

Started by Swami805, January 25, 2017, 12:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Another project I've been working on is these 3 old Truline rods.2 started life as 6 1/2' octagons and one is a old b4x 7'. Not much collector value and they weren't useful in the condition I recieved them in so I decided to modify them into something I would enjoy fishing with. I added 1 1/2' to the pair of octagons to extend them to 8' and the b4x was extended to nine feet. I wrapped them in truline colors with cork handles and old school chrome guides. I used flexcoat so they'll be more durable than an original finish since these will be fished.I added truline deacals(thanks Jerry) for a bit of authenticity but I made up model numbers so they can't be passed off as real 8' octagons.
I took one out on the endeavor in morro bay a few months ago and hung a 20lb ling with it on the first drop so I know I haven't offended the truline gods, fished it for a few more hours, the old glass rods are a pleasure to fish with.
Anyway here's a few pictures. If you have any old trulines ranching dust bunnies in a corner somewhere and you'd be willing to sell or trade let me know. Thanks for looking. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

doradoben

Very nice looking. I don't see them often, even on the party boats here in So. Cal. Can you share how you lengthened them?

Swami805

Quote from: doradoben on January 27, 2017, 08:59:14 PM
Very nice looking. I don't see them often, even on the party boats here in So. Cal. Can you share how you lengthened them?
Sure, no big trick. Use a section of old rod blank that will go up inside the rod 16-24" plus however long you want the extenison. I try not to extend the rod  more than 2'  since strength becomes an issue after that. I try to get a snug fit and usually need to build up the extension with masking tape in a few areas, since getting a perfect fit is tough to do. I use a 2 part epoxy paste (pc11) that won't drip or run so it has a good bond and fills up the void between the blanks. I also try to have the transition under the reel seat for added strength. I usually use cork for the grips since it's a little easier for this and I just like cork.
I only do this with thick wall fiberglass blanks but for the extenision graphite works fine and it's much lighter. Never done it on anything heavier than a 30-40lb rod and honestly I don't think I would trust it for anything heavier.
There's some hardcore truline guys that fish them hard, and certain models command some serious money. A buddy of mine bought a blank a few days ago for $700, not wrapped,just a blank.  I see them on the boats in so cal from time to time but unless they're octagons it's hard to tell they're trulines unless they have a label or you recognize the glass.
Hope that helps, Sheridan

Bill B

Great job on the restoration brother....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

doradoben

Thank you for explaining how it was done..

Newell Nut

The Great Maudu

Sheridan your works is just beautiful. I think that black on yellow is very striking.

Swami805

Thanks, Those are factory colors. The little touch of red highlights the yellow. Sheridan