Gold Foil

Started by droppedit, December 09, 2016, 11:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

droppedit

I'm a rod builder in the North East that primarily builds Cod jigging rods but have been into Tuna rods the last few years. Lately I've been bringing some old Sila Flex, Harnell's and Nep-Tuna back to a close as possible to original shape. What I'm looking for and can't find is the gold foil film that has an adhesive back. I bought a sheet from Merrick back in the day but it is getting pretty small. It's getting harder and harder to find some of these supplies. Merrick Tackle used to be so good at keeping many items in stock but after they were sold most items have just vanished forever. If anyone has a source for this foil I'd truly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Bill B

Dave, sorry I cannot be of any help in your search.....I just finished a Nep-Tuna with a Johnny Walker rod that had gold foil....what a PITA to remove....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

I'm re-doing some Harnells, I found the foil at a craft store called Michaels I think. They're a chain store out here. It comes in a sheet with an adhesive back. Didn't cost too much. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

droppedit

Quote from: Swami805 on December 10, 2016, 02:37:05 AM
I'm re-doing some Harnells, I found the foil at a craft store called Michaels I think. They're a chain store out here. It comes in a sheet with an adhesive back. Didn't cost too much. Sheridan

Thank you Swami. There is one not too far from me and I'll try to get out there next week. Last thing I want to do is go there on a weekend of the holiday madness.
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

54bullseye

Droppedit
Make sure you do some picture posting during Nep-Tuna rod redo it's nice to see the project in stages !! I have had Droppedit do a few rods for me he does a nice job !! This is a 580 Harnell he rebuilt to use for tuna. Instead of the original Mildrum rollers he put Aftco big foot guides on it for strength. Came out mint !!!   John T.

handi2

I dont do rods but I sure would like this one restored.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Swami805

I've been working on a quiver of harnells for myself. Here's a 13' surf rod an 8' light spinner and a 10' conventional. I have another 10' spinner in the rod wrapper now. The 2 pics are nice for travel and fairly reasonable on the pocket book. Sheridan

Swami805

One other quick tip, the 805 I'm working on now has white poodle grips that were so faded they looked like cork. I wrapped them in paper towels and soaked them with bleach overnight and they're bright white now. Didn't hurt the grips at all. Sheridan

droppedit

Quote from: handi2 on December 23, 2016, 12:11:57 AM

I just did one just like that for 54bullseye. The hardest thing we did was finding the white/green thread. Bullseye found some silk on E-bay and we were able to match the colors.

thorhammer

Ok you boys have gotten my attention and made a decision for me. Can you advise if the Harnell graphic is original or a reproduction, and if so can you share where I might get one?

Thanks!

John

droppedit

Quote from: Swami805 on December 23, 2016, 12:18:53 AM
I've been working on a quiver of harnells for myself. Here's a 13' surf rod an 8' light spinner and a 10' conventional. I have another 10' spinner in the rod wrapper now. The 2 pics are nice for travel and fairly reasonable on the pocket book. Sheridan

Nice! Did you make your own decals or were they original? It's amazing what you can do with an Alps printer if you have the time.
Wraps and foil look great!

Dave

54bullseye

Quote from: handi2 on December 23, 2016, 12:11:57 AM

Here is another Droppedit did for me to use. Again didn't use the Mildrums but I do have them.

thorhammer

Swami805

Wow that green is beautiful, I bet that would fish as well as any rod today. Finding thread can be difficult for sure. Mine are newer and I have a fairly good size hoard of qudebrod to work with. I think the yellow is 119 and the red is 325 regular nylon.
Unfortunately the decals are reproductions, I wish I had some of the full decals.  The rods I've been finding are pretty thrashed and the originals were too far gone.
I only have 2 left so I'll be on the hunt for decals too.
Sheridan

Tightlines667

Beautiful.

::)

Nice work!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.