HELP! TLD 30 2-speed

Started by siyc126, April 07, 2011, 09:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

siyc126

Hello... the spool does not engage and rotate with the lever drag. The reel free spools and there is nothing I can identify seized. The reel is very clean and in almost new condition. clicker engages smoothly and when you have the lever in free spool and try to add preset it turns smoothly but it does no good when you engage the lever. in fact the preset will turn so far that the shaft pops the shimano cover out of the cap. at this point you cannot engage the lever. ??? who can help? thanks!

Bryan Young

First, I would check the lever drag cam.  Try rotate it 180 degrees.  Then, the spring between the cam and the adjustment cap.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

siyc126

No Joy... Any other thoughts??

Bryan Young

Ah then, it's something internal.  You are going to have to start taking the reel apart.  First, I'd remove the sideplate, leaving the sideplate in tact, with the spool.  when you take it out, slide the lever from free to strike.  If the spool doesn't move to the left, then you need to start removing the spool.  If it does, then the shaft may not be seated in the frame properly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

ok, this does not sound good. do this.  turn the preset knob down until it drag pressure plae just barely comes in contact with the drag washer and you lose free spool.  now back off the preset knob by a quarter turn.  do this with the lever in free.  when you push the lever to strike, the preset knob should remain stationary.  i will bet that your's turns as the lever turns.  that's what happens, huh!

no remove the preset knob and the lever.  you will see a brass "nut" molded into the side plate.  that nut is supposed to remain stationary, but i bet your's will turn.  it does turn, doesn't it.  if it does, you need a new side plate.  at some point, the preset knob was forced and the nut was twisted and broke at the base. 

shimano's number is 877-577-0600 for a new side plate.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!