220N supposedly didn't work .....

Started by SilverRidge, December 16, 2016, 06:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverRidge

Just opened a really cosmetically nice 220n, I wanted one, purchased on the net for next to nothing. The ad said it " very hard to turn crank " maybe good for spare parts, took a chance did the transaction, opened the face plate, gears where just caked with old axle grease, I mean the brown nasty smelling stuff, it was almost solidified, chipped away with some q-tips and a small jewelry screwdriver and removed a large portion, then bathed the entire casing in Rem oil, lubricant and cleaning agent, you know I deem myself an honest man, that reel now is in perfect mechanical condition, feel like I took the guy and should offer him a few more dollars, am I nuts or what ?? That reel is worth three times what paid him ..
Paul

Tightlines667

Finders keepers :)

Nice work on that recovery.  You could give him a little bit more money if it will ease your troubled conscious.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

Call the guy up and tell him what a deal you got and how it is working.  Than laugh maniacally as you hang up... :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Shhhhhhhh...that is the little known truth about Quicks, and some other older quality reels.  The factory brown grease turns to beeswax -- and must be eliminated.

And they are generally fairly reasonable, pricewise.

Parts are the only issue -- and they seldom need anything except sometimes a bail spring, or drag washers.

The service you did is worth at least $20 --

Factor in gas, shipping, and your experience --

He should probably give you a little of your money back -- so you should just call it a day -- and find another one.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

Pay yourself for the time spent cleaning it, then factor in the times you buy a reel that is advertised as to be mechanically fit but actually has a fatal flaw, then decide how much you owe the guy. You're a good person to want to be fair about it.
-steve

SilverRidge

Fred ..... I've opened a few Dam Quick reels in the past few months and they all seem to have this
Large amount of thick cup or axle grease, I've never experienced it wth reels made in Japan, the grease is a tremendous preservative, the parts and gears are like brand new once you get to them, no plastic junk, no wonder they operate mechanically so well, and for so long ..
Paul

SilverRidge

Follow up: being a person of good conscience I called the gent back and explained what had transpired, told him I'd like to do something monetarily to even things out some, he refused to take a dime from me, he then informed me he had found a spare spool and had sent it to me as part of the initial deal, I don know what I stepped in recently to give me such luck but I'm going outside looking for it soon, think I'll play the lottery also so if you don't hear from me in awhile you know I won and bought Fred and all his reels and inventory out lock, stock and barrel .... ;D ;D ;D
Paul 

newfuturevintage

Quote from: SilverRidge on December 17, 2016, 04:04:05 PM
Follow up: being a person of good conscience I called the gent back and explained what had transpired, told him I'd like to do something monetarily to even things out some, he refused to take a dime from me, he then informed me he had found a spare spool and had sent it to me as part of the initial deal, I don know what I stepped in recently to give me such luck but I'm going outside looking for it soon, think I'll play the lottery also so if you don't hear from me in awhile you know I won and bought Fred and all his reels and inventory out lock, stock and barrel .... ;D ;D ;D
Paul 

That's fantastic!

STRIPER LOU

Just pay it forward! A while back I had purchased a ton of Penn parts from a gent out in the Midwest. A few weeks later I received and email from him and he had 1 more reel to finish up and was looking for a particular handle that was in his lot. I could tell he was just a great ole guy and sent it out to him immediately.

Yesterday I received a package in the mail with at least 50 old Penn catalogs and parts list from him. I was near speechless. Just keep paying it forward, that's all it takes and it will eventually come back around and even if it doesn't it'll still make you feel good.

Great time of the year to donate to the Salvation Army and the Veteran's. You cant goo wrong with that. The Salvation Army in my town is an absolutely amazing group. I try to donate every time I see them!

Sounds like you dealt with a really great guy.

........................Lou

foakes

We can never go wrong by doing the right thing, Paul...

Sometimes we really need to heed our intuition --

You did well by listening --

A DAM Quick spool by itself -- in average used condition is worth between $18 - $20.

Because the (7) reels in the "N" series, and the previous (7) in the "Finessa" series have plastic spools -- it is important to use some sort of flex tape, cork, or dacron line for a backing under the mono for about the first 25% -- when spooling these up.

Plus, never let a fellow at the tackle shop spool your line for you with a power spooler -- do it yourself.

I have 4 power line winders -- and always take care with these, as I do the ABUs also

So easy to split them in half with too much pressure as the mono expands.

Sort of like the old watermelon and rubber band game we played when we were kids growing up here in the San Joaquin Valley.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SilverRidge

Lou, I'm in total agreement with you regarding acknowledging all veterans for their sacrifices and service to this
Great country we live in, being a veteran myself of an unpopular conflict and seeing how we were treated and scorned when we returned, those memories will stay with me forever and anything, anytime I can give to veterans I will and do, some of my best friends gave the ultimate so that we may sit here and talk about fishing reels, they will never be forgotten ...
Paul

Lunker Larry

Quote from: foakes on December 17, 2016, 05:17:25 PM

I have 4 power line winders -- and always take care with these, as I do the ABUs also

So easy to split them in half with too much pressure as the mono expands.

I used to have that issue with my old Mitchels. It seemed that every time I would go to use it the spool would be split. I could never see what all the fus was about for these reels. Bought my first Quick 330 in 1973 and never looked back. Still have it and nicely "rejuvinated" now thanks Fred.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?