Logged in

Started by SilverRidge, December 16, 2016, 07:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverRidge

I'm not familar with the workings of running a web site like this, I would think it would be rather intricate, question I have is why am I clocked in minutes reference being logged in? What is the signicance of accumulating minutes? And being informed of my total time, is there a limitation? I'm at a loss ..
Paul

foakes

Our Administrators do a great job -- but this is a website with hosting that Alan was able to purchase for a fairly low number -- plus it has a lot of bells and whistles that came with it -- that are perhaps not that useful to everyone -- but are there anyway.

Having said that -- the members, moderators, and administrators are the ones who get credit for the website being what it is -- a fast-paced, multiple-disciplined, friendly, and clean site that you can feel comfortable posting in.

There are no charges or limitations.

We have a 12 year old rule -- basically, if something is not appropriate to show your 12 YO daughter -- it is not approprate for our site.

This is Ohana -- which means family.

No arguments, no profanity, no getting off subject matter too much -- no posting just to be posting -- information must be accurate, or it will be adjusted by many members -- worldwide -- 24/7.

Every active member has a expertise in experience, or a niche. 

That is why this small, seemingly insignificant group of reel repair nerds, gets around 2.2 million separate and unique hits a month.

As a resource, it is monitored by a world-wide group of folks that even include manufacturers.

No advertisments or banners -- although it is a ripe target for those, and Alan would make some serious money on these -- but he will not allow that.

In some ways, the respect and responsibility of our membership -- along with the variety of well organized subject matter -- has made this the top site of it's kind in the world.

Many sites have great hopes and expectations -- then interest drops, subjects are too narrow, folks will not take on the tasks of keeping everything fresh and organized -- so even though they have much to offer -- the worst thing possible in the cyber world happens -- they become irrelevant.

So you have become a part of the best there is -- learn how to use Photobucket to post your pics.  It is free.
And one pic is worth a 1000 words.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

it's just something weird about the website software.  not sure why they did that, but someone must have thought it was a good idea at the time.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SilverRidge

Kinda sorta got the picture, it really has zero signicance relating to my signing on and off not relevant
To my status on this web site, reason I asked I cannot remember ever seeing it b4 and I've been a senior poster on a few fly fishing sites on the WWW ...
Fred, I totally understand the governing rules set by the owner and mods and am in total agreement with same I plan on participating in a constructive educational way, I've been a mod on another site so no one is more attuned to the web and the many different personalities that post, a difficult unrewarding job to say the least. With that said I shall not log out anymore as I have been doing not needed ..thanks again ..
Paul

Keta

Quote from: SilverRidge on December 16, 2016, 07:25:40 PM
1  I have is why am I clocked in minutes reference being logged in?

2What is the signicance of accumulating minutes?

3 And being informed of my total time, is there a limitation? I'm at a loss ..
Paul

#1, see Alan's reply above.
#2, no significace, ignore it.
#3, no limits on the time you spend here.

Our rules are so simple moderating is not a big chore.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

Fred, I think you forgot to mention no politics & no religion discussion.

Bill B

Quote from: alantani on December 16, 2016, 08:20:16 PM
it's just something weird about the website software.  not sure why they did that, but someone must have thought it was a good idea at the time.  :-\

As Alan has stated....no real use, but it is sure fun to see how many hours we spend learning..at least that's what i tell my wife  ::)...on the other hand the agency I work for mandates a minimum number of hours in training each year.....I tried to get them to recognize my hours spent here and was turned down   :'(   I wonder why.... Paul glad to have you here and we look forward to your posts and the fly fishing experience you will bring.....Bill from the Sacramento Delta

Ohhh yeah....I'm up to 21 days and 22 hrs so far.....LOL
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!