Penn 650SS dogs upgrades

Started by Alto Mare, December 16, 2016, 10:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

If any of you  have done the stainless steel dogs and ratchet upgrade on the 650SS, there is a way you won't need the extra spring. Here is a much better option, in my opinion.
It went from this:

to this:

Here is how I did it:

I removed the fins from the stock dog by grinding down the post I then installed it on the stainless steel dog, holding it in place by using a sleeve pin fro the small reels.
I use these stickers to remind myself what was done to the reel

and the finished reel, fully serviced and upgraded.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

Hi Sal
I always wondered what the function of part number 224 is? I know if you take it off, you can use either one of the dogs or both.
With it on, you can only use the bottom dog (under the gearbox switch) if the top one is engaged.
I like it removed.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Cone

Sal, great work as usual! I had thought about doing something similar but I never got around to trying. I like the springs on both dogs. I think they are a little more reliable but at a cost of more noise. Someone who doesn't like the noise would love what you came up with. I like it. ;D
      Basto, I take off the transfer bar too. I don't ever back reel. I do have a few and if I ever do need it it doesn't take long to put it back.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

handi2

I have a pile of transfer bars. I dont use them either. Most of the time I use 2 silent dogs. The guys like them better.

Using 2 silent dogs and removing the transfer bar eliminates accidentally hitting the lever turning the dogs off.

You would have to turn both levers of for it to go backwards.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Quote from: Cone on December 17, 2016, 12:04:01 AM
Sal, great work as usual! I had thought about doing something similar but I never got around to trying. I like the springs on both dogs. I think they are a little more reliable but at a cost of more noise. Someone who doesn't like the noise would love what you came up with. I like it. ;D
      Basto, I take off the transfer bar too. I don't ever back reel. I do have a few and if I ever do need it it doesn't take long to put it back.
Bob
Hey Bob, that was my intentionaqt first to install two dogs with fins, but the second dog fins kept slipping off the ratchet.
These were Lee's dogs and he did a great job with them, now we have Adam's dogs made from titanium.
Adam's dogs are wider and I don't believe they could slip off.
Adam has one of my 650SS, he will try to get those done, along with the ratchet when he gets some time, I'm hoping he could also drill those little holes for us, it would help if we would want to install the fins.

The transfer lever is not a bad thing to have, you could probably make some damage without it.
Once my reel is set up, I like the idea of having the option to move one eccentric lever to disengage both dogs   at the same time.
Being without it, you'll need to move top and bottom eccentric lever. There is good and bad in everything, it's all about how you would like yours

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I have a few 650's that could use this treatment.
Looks Great Sal.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Thanks Daron, yes this is a good upgrade. I'm not sure you're aware, I love these reels ;).

Shark Hunter

I have Adam's Titanium ratchet and double dog kit on the 750, 850 and 9500.
Lee's 650 creation came before. I have a ratchet that Bob sent me, but that's it.
There is something about that 650, I agree.
Just picking it up and Turning the Handle is Therapeutic. ;)
Life is Good!

Cone

Sal, my problem with the transfer bar is I have accidentally bumped it with a fish on. It can be fun holding the rod with the handle spinning and trying to reengage the dogs with the other hand.  ;D  Like you said, its how you like yours. Its great to see your still coming up with mods for these classics. Take care Bro.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Yes Bob, that would do it. :) I must say though, that has never happened to me on these, on the little ones yes.
It could certainly happen though.
Good to hear from you buddy, I hope you're doing good.

Sal

Johnj67

I'm lost, I have a lot to learn.Sal I finally got a rotor for the 650ss. As soon as I get a chance I will install that PUM I got from you😀,...Been busy with a couple 710's, and a Mitchell 302....Good times!!

John

Noboater

I know this post is older, but im wanting a set if these dogs for my 650ss. Where can I set a set of these?

basto

The 6500ss was my first double dogged spin reel. I remember thinking what a great idea having 2 dogs on a spinner when it was before people started putting their own extra dogs on Senators.
They are among my favourite spinners. Still looking for a 650ss. 
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n