No longer lurking

Started by Kennemj, December 20, 2016, 09:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kennemj

Aloha all,

Finally stopped lurking and registered.  Have some questions saved up and not sure where the best place to hang each of them would be:

1.  I have a penn 113 that I put a tiburon t4n and tiburon spool onto.  Seems like I have a lot of play side to side in the spool and a lot of noise.  I saw in a couple of mods that people put a drag washer on the inside and others shimming the bearing cup.  Seems like the bearing cup is a good spot to start if I can figure out where to find a washer, and I don't quite catch the purpose of the drag washer inside the main gear.

2.  I have a couple of penn 12/0's that I picked up for a song.  They used to have Electra mates on them so I need to track down some handles /arms and handle screws.  Would be interested in finding some offset handles since I have to pay anyway, but can't seem to find them for 116 or larger?  (Anyone have a use for electramate hawaiian 1200 guts?  Motor works but case is cracked and I don't know how to weld plastic)

3.  Have 2 avet t-rx 50w that I need to service, couldn't find a good tutorial for trx.  Kinda concerned that the quad drag is going to jump out and devour me if I open it....looking for anything I should know before I crack it open.

I guess that's probably more than enough for a first post...please let me know if I'm breaking any rules of etiquette.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

foakes

Welcome aboard, Mike --

Look forward to your posts & questions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

theswimmer

Welcome!

Scotts has handles in stock if no one else chimes in with one.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn116L.aspx

Best,
Jonathan

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

David Hall

Bill B

Welcome Mike.....as stated above Mystic Reel Parts can get you the parts you need.....for the side to side play I have used a piece of a bottle cap cut to the correct diameter or you can try McMasters Carr for metal spacers.....BIll

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Kennemj

Thanks all for the responses!

Any rccomendations on placement for a bottle cap shim to prevent side to side play?

Looked at Scott's.  Great parts selection!  Looks like all stock type parts.  Was curious if anyone had a line on an offset handle, though....didn't see one on Scotts.  If not, I will do stock. 

Shark Hunter

I don't know of an offset handle for a 12/0.
I prefer one of Adam's stainless Arms and a 5/0 grip.
It is quite comfortable. It is a $55 upgrade.
Well worth it in my book. ;)
Life is Good!

BryanC

You mentioned a Penn 113 with a Tiburon T4N frame and Tiburon spool.  Would that be a Penn 113H (rather than 113) by any chance?  I am not aware of a Tiburon spool that fits a narrowed 113.  If you are using a spool intended for a 113H in a 113, perhaps that could explain some problems.

Kennemj

BryanC, You are correct, 113H.  With all the technical expertise here I will have to be more precise.

I started looking at the tiburon frame again (started it about two years ago and set it down and walked away).  I think I determined after looking at it again and other people's posts that I should have taken off the inner rings.  Seems like that would take up the play.  And I can smack myself in the head if it works.

Shark hunter, how do I contact Adam?  I have no handle at all right now on either one so its not too much more to get the upgrade vs a stock replacement.  I picked up 2 12/0's (with no handle) and two 14/0's in excellent condition for $75 total for all 4.  I figure I can afford 2 handles.  Any other recommendations?  Will be throwing them in the offshore trolling rotation. 

Kennemj

Scratch the request for tracking down Adam....I think I found him at motive fab.

Also, can consider the tiburon question solved as well...don't use the inner rings.  Took me two years of not looking at it but letting it nag my brain.  A day or so of wandering around on this website made that much easier!  Thanks to all! 

Only thing I have left on my list for right now is tips or warnings for an avet trx service?  Any advice?

Should I post that on the avet board?  Otherwise I'll go back to lurking on the penn senator forum while I play with those...

Thanks again! 

Shark Hunter

You are Correct. Motive Fab is Adam's store.
I would post your Avet Question in the Avet Section.
There are some Guru's lurking around here. ;)
Life is Good!