Nep-Tuna / Finor

Started by droppedit, December 23, 2016, 01:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

droppedit

Here is a project I started today. A Nep-Tuna with an old Finor mounted to it.
The rod came to me naked with the exception of the top.
Today was spent cleaning the blank with DNA then a layout. First off the
strips of gold foil go down and then the underwrap. I was able to wrap a few
guides on today but hope to get the rest wrapped tomorrow.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

thorhammer

Ok thats by far the most interesting piece I've seen in a while; you have my undivided attention.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Swami805

Holy Cow! That is an incredible set up. Top of the line in every facet. Do you know what kind of blank it is? Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

TechTeach

"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Bill B

What a great set up....looking forward to watching your build.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

droppedit

I was able to do a little wrapping in between my honey-do list today.
The rod is all wrapped and sitting on the drying bench waiting for finish.
The plan is to use Spar Varnish with a 25% Artist Turpentine as a thinner.
This should darken up the white thread and hopefully penetrate down to the blank.
I have a real problem of trying not to build up the finish too high.
I've spent too many years using Aftcote high build and I'm trying
hard to kick the habit. ;)

More later,

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

droppedit

Quote from: Swami805 on December 23, 2016, 02:34:26 AM
Holy Cow! That is an incredible set up. Top of the line in every facet. Do you know what kind of blank it is? Sheridan

I'm not sure if that is a nep-tuna blank or a silaflex. If 54bullseye sees this I'm sure he will let you know.
I'm just the bottle washer ;)

Dave

Ron Jones

I'm thinking sila-flex. The old man had a few and that blank reminds me of them.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

54bullseye

Quote from: Swami805 on December 23, 2016, 02:34:26 AM
I believe it's a Silaflex blank. Most of the rods on the older Nep-Tunas were Silaflex from what I have seen but if there is any one out there that knows different please let me know. I have quite a few of the later Nep-Tuna rods that are kind of gold / yellow color and I have no idea who made them again if any one does please let me know !!! Also I have been looking for any info maybe catalogs, advertisements anything I can find on Nep-Tuna stuff !! When did they go in business? Earliest cradles they made and so on ?? Please tell me anything you might know. I have also asked this same question on ORCA but haven't found out much. A lot of you people on this site are from California where Nep-Tuna was made.       Thanks !  John T.

Swami805

Wish I could help with some info on that. I have a few silaflexs that look very similar and a few that don't look like it at all, hopefully someone will chime in.On a different tangent anyone interested in getting some silafex decals made? I'd be in for some. There's a few good images of the seahorse logo on google. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

John, I just completed a rebuild on what I believe to be a very early Nep-Tuna, I base this on the Penn 349, the cradle uses a friction lock and not anodized.  The rod that was attached was built by Johnny Walker who made rods in the late 50's up to the early 70's.....my rebuild is stickied above...I too would like to hear and read any additional information....Bill

http://alantani.com/index.php?board=36.0

54bullseye

Quote from: TARFU on December 24, 2016, 12:33:46 AM
John, I just completed a rebuild on what I believe to be a very early Nep-Tuna, I base this on the Penn 349, the cradle uses a friction lock and not anodized.  The rod that was attached was built by Johnny Walker who made rods in the late 50's up to the early 70's.....my rebuild is stickied above...I too would like to hear and read any additional information....Bill

http://alantani.com/index.php?board=36.0
Bill
I looked at your rebuild you did a great job that's a neat combo !! I have some of the friction fit ferrules on some early Nep-Tunas also not anodized. I would love to find some catalogs so I could date some of the different style cradles and rods Nep-Tuna offered. I am posting a few pics of a bigger 12/0 Nep-Tuna cradle with a 12/0 Penn Senator and a Silaflex rod. Notice the big nut in place of the usual knurled nut they use on smaller cradles. This is a friction fit ferrule and I think this rod might be a rod some builder made for this cradle I don't know if it's completely Nep-Tuna ?? I am guessing this to be an earlier Nep-Tuna cradle but again can't find info !!! I love the cradles that's my nitch !!!!
    John T.

STRIPER LOU

Beautiful setup, classic re-wrap colors, Very nice work! Thanks for sharing,  ..  Lou

Bill B

Beautiful work brother....I really like the color combo and those roller guides really scream Old School....Bill