Nep-Tuna / Finor

Started by droppedit, December 23, 2016, 01:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

droppedit

Here are a few more with the 1st coat of varnish on. Well actually a
couple guides have 2 coats because some jerk forgot to remove the
china marker layout dots. Going to take a couple of days before I get
around to putting another coat on.
Wishing everyone Happy Holidays and Peace on this Planet.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

droppedit

Finally finished up the Nep-Tuna. Had quite the battle with a conflict of interest between the decal
and the finish but finally won. This was white thread under wrap with spar varnish for a finish. Thought
it was cool the way the varnish discolored the white, sort of instant antiquing.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

Bryan Young

Very nice.  I don't know how I missed this thread.  Wow, that Finor looks great on the Nep-Tuna seat.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

coastal_dan

Stunning  :o  A lot of talent sir.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Alto Mare

Beautiful job Dave!

I agree Byan, that Finor looks great on the Nep-Tuna.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

Very nice. Like your wrapper too!  Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

droppedit

Thanks for the comments. It's a lot of fun working on this old stuff.
I sure wish they still made hardware like this again.

Dave

Penn Chronology

Here is a Neptuna built rig with a single speed 6/0 Fin-Nor reel. The rod is a Lamiglass blank built by Fin-Nor for big game fisherman Steve Zuckerman. Notice the excessive amount of guides. I have only seen Neptuna build a rod like this for Steve Zuckerman.

Notice the double stripper guides. Only Neptuna built for Steve Zuckerman.

Neptuna marked the rod and reel to Steve Zuckerman.

He was a well known fisherman in the 1970's and 1980's.

Robert Janssen

Thanks for that, Mike. Been wondering about him for many years, mostly since he was responsible for the Fin-Nor Tri-Speed.

Makule

What is the advantage to the recessed reel seat?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote

Thanks for that, Mike. Been wondering about him for many years, mostly since he was responsible for the Fin-Nor Tri-Speed.

Yes, I remember that Tri-Speed reel. Cannot remember where I read about it. Possible you mentioned it in the ORCA forums.

I believe Steve Zuckerman is no longer with us.

Superhook

Mike,

The three speed is spoken about in the Kovalovsky book.

Ray

Penn Chronology

QuoteWhat is the advantage to the recessed reel seat?

The first advantage is strength. The reel frame is an integral part of the rod. Once the plates are screwed to the frame, the reel is 100% solid. There is no possible frame warping during high load use. Also, the height of the reel is dropped allowing the line to flow off the reel with no deflection toward the guides.

Basically, some fisherman like them and feel they are better. The biggest problem with them was the cost, especially Neptuna's. I was told that a Neptuna frame, sized for a Jigmaster, was $100 for the frame only and that is in the 1970's. After you add the cost of the reel and the custom fitting of a handle and rod tip, you could easily spend $300 for a Jigmaster sized rig and the big game rigs greatly increased more than that. I feel they were too expensive and that was the biggest factor in why they did not catch on. The cradle reel has a long history before Neptuna. Classic makers like Coxe, vom Hofe and Kovalovsky all made cradle reels as well as Ocean City. After Neptuna they disappeared.

I have two built for fishing, one with a Jigmaster the other with a Live Bait Caster and have fished with them for many years. I like them; but, they are becoming dated because of their bulkiness for use with modern lighter rods and braided lines. I will be retiring mine this year, unless I can find a small cradle for a Penn 180 or 146. I used to have a few of them; but, sold them. Now I cannot find one. I guess I should have kept at least one of the small ones. Same old story, you do not appreciate what you have until it is gone..................