Touch up paint

Started by SilverRidge, December 25, 2016, 10:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverRidge

For a Dam quick reel, what is it called and point me in the right direction for a purchase of a can of spray ? Thanks
Paul

STRIPER LOU

I have purchased Wrinkle finish in a spray can from Sears hardware. Probably any good hardware or Automotive parts store should carry it. Are you doing a full repaint or just a touchup?

If you decided to go that route you may want to practice a bit.

The distance and the amount of layers has a lot to do with the way the texture comes out.

I'd be willing to bet that Fred O knows exactly what you need to get the job done correctly.

Good luck with your project and have a great evening,  ..  Lou

foakes

Texture paints are not all the same.

If just doing a touchup on wrinkle paint -- it will show after drying.

The finishing process of wrinkle paint requires a clean metal surface free of paint to start with.

Quick has used 4 colors over the years that I know of -- their standby flat black, a maroon on certain models like the Junior 240, a green on certain models like their Super 270, 238, etc, and dark or light grey on their 238s and a couple of others.

For me, Eastwood is the best after I researched what the hot rod custom guys do on valve covers, and the antique electronic instrument, radio restorers, and vintage sound equipment enthusiasts do on their equipment.

I really try not to repaint any Quicks -- because I do not want to mislead anyone that the reel is unused and is not a repaint.  However, on occasion I have -- and I just take the frames, sideplates, rotor housings, and crank sleeves down to a radiator or powder coating shop.  For a few bucks ($10) they will dip the parts for 3 minutes -- rinse -- and absolutely no paint left anywhere.

Then the paint is applied as per the instructions for painting and allowing to dry in a wrinkle pattern properly.

Like Lou sez -- practice on some not so precious pieces to get the hang of the misting pattern, coverage, and drying time required. Must be done in one coat -- so practice makes perfect.

Best Always,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SilverRidge

Thanks again gentlemen, couldn't find the Eastwood brand but VHT was avilable on Amazon, I'm fairly proficent with spray painting, recently restored a 1929 Willis Knight vintage auto and 1980 Datsun 280 Z with my son so pretty experienced with a spray can ....

Paul

oc1

It is unlikely that your paint will be as durable or look as good as the original.  You might want to consider embracing the honest wear on an old reel and appreciate it for what it is.
-steve

SilverRidge

Steve, I'm in agreement with you re original look, there are a few reels that have some wear on the bottom corner Edges that look like I can do a quick spray repaint, I can mask off the portion of the reel I don't want painted, got much experience doing small spots working on vintage autos, just finished a set of wire spoaked wheels done in yellow, talk about tedious and intricate work, glad it's a hobby ...ill post a photo of the reels after I touch em up ....

Paul