Dam quick super 275 2 speed

Started by Swami805, December 27, 2016, 02:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I was thinking I should get a 270 for a parts reel. Are most of the parts interchangeable with the 275 2 speed. I know the gearing and mechanisim wouldn't be but how about all the other parts. The cost for one on the bay is so low even if I just needed a few parts it would make sense. Thanks Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

foakes

That is what I would do, Sheridan...Good planning...maybe a couple...then build up a regular 270...and you have a back up reel with parts for both.

90% of the parts are a simple drop-in changeout -- same part numbers.

That is the nice thing about fishing Quicks -- they are relatively inexpensive, very capable, and bulletproof.

Sort of like when we used to go out to Kearney Bowl on Friday nights to see the Super Modified Hardtops run.

Sometimes they also had a destruction derby -- and the guy who would win typically was the driver who picked up an old Chrysler Aircraft Carrier, reinforced it -- and was the last car moving at the end of the night.  The Fords and Chevys would die first.

Lots of metal -- and cheap to buy.  Plus, because there was so much steel and free space between the bumper and the radiator -- even when just barely limping, and pouring fluids out of everywhere -- they won.  An old Chrysler Mopar had more steel in one quarter panel -- then two new Hondas have in their complete assemblies.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Swami805

Thanks Fred, I'll get a few for future reference, They're almost giving them away.
I had a 68 pontiac catalina I bought back in the day from a old lady for $300. 40,000 miles plastic seat covers with all the service records. Don't know that there was ever a bigger heavier car ever built. My kids were young and it served me well for a 100,000 miles. Horrible mileage but parts were cheap and plentiful and the thing never stranded me anywhere. I sold it for $500, the guy still has it,still runs. Would have made a great demolition derby car, glad it's still around. Good old Detroit iron.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

handyandy

Quote from: CH on January 14, 2017, 01:25:46 AM
Quote from: Swami805 on January 14, 2017, 12:23:37 AM
The spool is about 2 3/4" wide 7(cm)  about 1" deep (2cm) and about 1" wide. It should hold a decent amount of 50- 65lb braid. I was thinking maybe a good reel for throw poppers. Low gear would be handy.

Thank you.
So about twice the size of, say a 110N.

The dam supers are way bigger than a 110. I use a 110 that Fred hooked me up with for smallmouth. Haven't used a whole lot since getting since I've been in duck hunting mode rather than fishing, now with all the rain we've had all the rivers are flooded making the fishing junk. Anyways not to long ago I got a regular dam super off the fleabay for cheap I was going to fix up for a paddle fish casting snagging rod. If I remember I'll take a comparison pic of the 110 and super. The super is pretty darn big about as big as spinners come/came. I planned on spooling mine with 60 pound braid maybe 80 some of the bigger paddle fish can really put up a fight when you get one after tossing and jerking nearly a pound of lead most the day you don't want to lose it. My boat snagging rod for when I go to Missouri to snag has penn 309 with 80lb braid. Thanks for tips on the carbon drags for the super I'm going to order up some of the sedona drag disc. Fred are those washers you have for the super stainless steel ones? That would be much better than the brass ones. On another note Fred I was hoping maybe I could trouble you for a spring washer for a dam 110 I picked up off fleabay for cheap that I'm going through now. Your 110 you sent me is awesome I like it enough I decided to get another to go through on my own.

handyandy

sorry forgot to post these sooner as you can see the super is quiet big especially compared to a little 110

handyandy

by the way the 110 pictured is the one fred put together for me great reel he did a great job on it.

CH

Quote from: handyandy on February 02, 2017, 08:47:47 PM
by the way the 110 pictured is the one fred put together for me great reel he did a great job on it.

I imagine it's better than a new one. :)

I still own two 110's I bought new. Own three total. ( and two 110n's)

Just something about a 110 that hits me right. My favorite reel.
I have each spooled with a different weight line - 2 lb.- 4 lb.- 6 lb. on three different length & action rods.

1st Quick reel I ever owned and been loving them since. Going on 50 years now

BTW - thanks for the 110 & Super side by side pics. Been looking at Super's and wondering the exact size. Now I know. :)
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

handyandy

The super is quiet large I plan on putting it on large rod for snagging paddle fish with 60lb braid or dacron most likely. I wanted a quality reel for in case I do get a really good fish on I don't want the reel to fail, but I didn't want to break the bank putting together a snagging combo that may get used a couple weekends a year. I'll use it for catfish too but rarely catch one that would test that reel as well as a occasional salt water trip to coastal GA where I have family. I think it will serve my needs well and is better than any other reel I could buy today for the money.

CH

Quote from: handyandy on February 03, 2017, 07:07:37 PM
The super is quiet large I plan on putting it on large rod for snagging paddle fish with 60lb braid or dacron most likely. I wanted a quality reel for in case I do get a really good fish on I don't want the reel to fail, but I didn't want to break the bank putting together a snagging combo that may get used a couple weekends a year. I'll use it for catfish too but rarely catch one that would test that reel as well as a occasional salt water trip to coastal GA where I have family. I think it will serve my needs well and is better than any other reel I could buy today for the money.

Yeah....
I'm thinking a Super for big blues & shovels. Big carp. Freshwater......
I'm a Spin fisherman. Bait casters have their place but I prefer Spinners anytime they can be used.
Considered the Super for salt but I decided to go with new Penn reels for salt instead. Less muss & fuss.
Just ordered a couple new Penn spinners yesterday. They are the best as far as the new reels go IMHO.
BTW- the new Penn FRCII 1000 Fierce II Spinning Reel  is a sweet ultralight for the new reels. Super smooth drag, nicely built, good price.
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted