I believe you guys now.

Started by JRD, December 28, 2016, 03:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeri

Hi All,

A local expression: "we all have to pay our school fees!"

Cheers from chaotic sunny Africa - the fish are jumping, and folks are going 'fish mad'.

Jeri

Gfish

Quote from: Porthos on December 28, 2016, 07:05:58 PM
The only times to disbelieve us are when:

;D

Yeah, that was a fun read(probably only if you're someone like me, though). I myself wish there's a ego filter I could turn for my posts... I think mosta the time it's HOW I say things, not so much WHAT I say...
Could there be a age/ uv light/saltwater factor that weakens the plastic? What about the penn bakelite side-plates? Only busted one spinner(plastic spool) once, it was definitely:"reel in under pressure " related.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

Compressed mono warps heavy cast bronze 349 spools, I would not fill any plastic spool more than 10% with mono.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mo65

I think this thread is a great place to post this little Penn flyer addressing mono issues concerning spools. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

That's the weirdest thing I've ever seen Mo because it is from the wise folks at Penn and it is just wrong.  Dacron has no stretch and will break before it stretches.  So it cannot build up enough pressure to damage the spool.  Mono (single strand nylon) will definitely stretch and cause damage.  Braided nylon will stretch but is less likely to cause damage.  Dacron, linen, silk, and now spectra can be wound on as tight as you want.
-steve

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on December 31, 2016, 06:56:14 AM
That's the weirdest thing I've ever seen Mo because it is from the wise folks at Penn and it is just wrong.  Dacron has no stretch and will break before it stretches.

I think what happened here Steve was Penn needed to get a spool breakage warning out there and all synthetics got lumped in with the culprit. Later research definitely revealed Dacron to be just as good at backing as linen. I use Dacron as backing myself. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Keta

I still use Dacron under Spectra.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ez2cdave

Quote from: Calusa on December 29, 2016, 12:36:42 AMHow do the plastic/fiberglass spools on the old green Spinfisher reels hold up? I've got one that doesn't appear to have ever been used, but I'd like to spool it up with Ande mono and use it.

I think that the "plastic" Green Spinfisher spools and the Red "plastic" spools on some Squidders ( "Air-Brake" Spools ) was a material called "CYCOLAC" . . . I don't know if the Black "plastic" spools on other Penn Reels ( 100, 155, etc. ) were also made of that or not.

Tight Lines !

oc1

Thank you for that bit of information Dave.  A quick google indicates CYCOLAC is a type of ABS plastic.  I only know ABS from plastic pipe.  ABS is lighter than many plastics and ABS pipe floats.  Need to go back and read more about it.  It would be great to be able to identify the various types of plastic as a dating tool.

For what it's worth, I have a post-war squidder with black plates and a black spool that had air brakes until the original owner broke them out with a pair of pliers.
-steve