Fathom vs Torque Star Drag: Cast Control Exclusion & Future Revisions

Started by BQN, December 28, 2016, 02:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BQN

Hello,

Why was the centrifugal brake system excluded from the Torque series?  Are there any plans to implement the system in future Torque series?

Bests,

Bao

"Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst out in laughter."
- L.G.P.

Penn

Bao,

The Torque 2nd gen was designed first, a year later we added the Fathom SD reels to the lineup with the centrifugal braking system.   I would have to talk to an Engineer but I believe no plans on adding it to the Torque, it may have something to do with the click system which is completely different between the 2.  The Torque uses a 3 position clicker.

tony

BQN

Thank you for the quick response.

Presently, I am shopping for a robust star drag reel that can do it all. I am willing to pay the premium to have premium components & features: stainless steel gear train, machined frame and side plates, free floating spool, cast control,  great customer service, etc...

I feel the Torque could benefit from a cast control system vs a 3-position clicker.

A cast control would compliment the free floating spool design; increasing the Torques capability and utility, making it the most feature rich reel in it's class.

Has market feedback been favorable regarding the Fathom and it's use of a cast control?

I find myself looking at the Fathom and wishing it had stainless steel gears like the Torque. haha

Anyway, that's just one man's 2cents...

Bests,

Bao

"Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst out in laughter."
- L.G.P.

coastal_dan

Bao - Check out this thread...It looks like Sal (Alto Mare) has upgraded his gears to the stainless units as well...food for thought!

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14253.0

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

BQN

Quote from: coastal_dan on December 28, 2016, 06:41:39 PM
Bao - Check out this thread...It looks like Sal (Alto Mare) has upgraded his gears to the stainless units as well...food for thought!

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14253.0

Wonderful Dan. Thanks for the link.
- L.G.P.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: BQN on December 28, 2016, 04:48:54 PM

Presently, I am shopping for a robust star drag reel that can do it all. I am willing to pay the premium to have premium components & features: stainless steel gear train, machined frame and side plates, free floating spool, cast control,  great customer service, etc...

I feel the Torque could benefit from a cast control system vs a 3-position clicker.

A cast control would compliment the free floating spool design; increasing the Torques capability and utility, making it the most feature rich reel in it's class.

Has market feedback been favorable regarding the Fathom and it's use of a cast control?

I find myself looking at the Fathom and wishing it had stainless steel gears like the Torque. haha

Bests,

Bao

I made the switch to the stainless gears on my Fathom 25N. The gear was great but I since have switched the reel back to the 6:1 stock gear. I use the reel mainly for the yoyo iron and sometimes bait. I like the 6:1 gear better for the yoyo application. I fish my 25N with 30 lb toppers and the 6:1 offers more than enough cranking power in this line test or lower. If I was going to use the reel for 40 lb test and around 13 lbs of drag, mainly for bait I feel this is where the stainless lower gear would pay off.

IMO the cast control/breaks in the Fathom line of reels really only works with light lures, weights and or baits. I turn off all breaks or cast control systems in all my reels feeling it is better to train your thumb to be the cast control system. Even with all the breaks on in the Fathom line you will still need to use your thumb with anything weighting, say over 1/2 ounce which in my case leaves out just about everything I will be casting with my reel. Of course this will depend on the rod used and casting distance your looking to get.

I understand you like the Torque reels but with them not having breaks is really a moot point unless your casting very light lures on rods under 7' in length. The longer the rod the faster the spool of the reel will be moving at startup and with the excellent freespool of the Torque and Fathom reels some thumbing of the spool will be needed before splashdown, so just train yourself to do so without using breaks. It's not a huge difference anyway.

There is a pic floating around this website of me with a couple of 35 lb plus yellowtail, one pushing 40 lbs, caught on the 25N which shows how I feel about the power of the stock 6:1 bronze gear.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i have the 25N with PC's 4.8:1 gears and love it. i really do not know how the stock gears are, never tried it because i know i cannot winch a schoolie yft tuna with it. caught a many schoolie size last year aboard the pride. if you have popeye's biceps then you do not need the SS 4.8:1 gears. will the stock gears hold up winching all day long i do not know, maybe somebody knows. good luck!

Ron Jones

I know this sounds outdated, but to me the best cast control is a well trained thumb. I just don't see why you would want to slow down a spool that has so much put into it to spin fast.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BQN

Quote from: SoCalAngler on December 29, 2016, 12:58:36 AM

Presently, I am shopping for a robust star drag reel that can do it all. I am willing to pay the premium to have premium components & features: stainless steel gear train, machined frame and side plates, free floating spool, cast control,  great customer service, etc...

Bests,

Bao

I made the switch to the stainless gears on my Fathom 25N. The gear was great but I since have switched the reel back to the 6:1 stock gear. I use the reel mainly for the yoyo iron and sometimes bait. I like the 6:1 gear better for the yoyo application. I fish my 25N with 30 lb toppers and the 6:1 offers more than enough cranking power in this line test or lower. If I was going to use the reel for 40 lb test and around 13 lbs of drag, mainly for bait I feel this is where the stainless lower gear would pay off.

IMO the cast control/breaks in the Fathom line of reels really only works with light lures, weights and or baits. I turn off all breaks or cast control systems in all my reels feeling it is better to train your thumb to be the cast control system. Even with all the breaks on in the Fathom line you will still need to use your thumb with anything weighting, say over 1/2 ounce which in my case leaves out just about everything I will be casting with my reel. Of course this will depend on the rod used and casting distance your looking to get.

I understand you like the Torque reels but with them not having breaks is really a moot point unless your casting very light lures on rods under 7' in length. The longer the rod the faster the spool of the reel will be moving at startup and with the excellent freespool of the Torque and Fathom reels some thumbing of the spool will be needed before splashdown, so just train yourself to do so without using breaks. It's not a huge difference anyway.

There is a pic floating around this website of me with a couple of 35 lb plus yellowtail, one pushing 40 lbs, caught on the 25N which shows how I feel about the power of the stock 6:1 bronze gear.

From all the literature i'm reading, the Torque is very robust externally and internally for its weight. It would be a reel that I want to use for many applications besides on a boat. For example, I could see myself using it for surf casting on a windy day. That is what I meant by increasing it's 'capabilities and utility'.

If the Torque had a cast control like its siblings the Fathom, and Squall, I would own one right now. I would bring it everywhere I went...just in case. :)

watch this video:

I'm not saying the Torque can't cast like that with an educated thumb, but it would be a lot easier with cast control, especially into the wind.

It'd be nice to have the versatility of a Fathom, with the added strength of a Torque, especially at the cost of the Torque.

Bests,

Bao

- L.G.P.

Penn

Quote from: BQN on December 29, 2016, 06:16:58 AM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on December 29, 2016, 12:58:36 AM

Bests,

Bao

From all the literature i'm reading, the Torque is very robust externally and internally for its weight. It would be a reel that I want to use for many applications besides on a boat. For example, I could see myself using it for surf casting on a windy day. That is what I meant by increasing it's 'capabilities and utility'.

If the Torque had a cast control like its siblings the Fathom, and Squall, I would own one right now. I would bring it everywhere I went...just in case. :)

watch this video:

I'm not saying the Torque can't cast like that with an educated thumb, but it would be a lot easier with cast control, especially into the wind.

It'd be nice to have the versatility of a Fathom, with the added strength of a Torque, especially at the cost of the Torque.

Bests,

Bao

Bao,

Google "PMR PENN TORQUE".  He is not affiliated with PENN in anyway and says some inaccurate things in his videos but he is the only one I have seen who added a mag to a Torque 2nd gen.

tony

BQN

Hi Tony,

Thanks for heads up on PMR.

I did some research, and I'm going to try and find a gen1 Torque 100.

That fits my applications perfectly.

Bests,

Bao
- L.G.P.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

FLEABAY LESS THAN $326.00
BUT I'D RATHER BUY THE TQ12...IMO IS A BETTER CHOICE FOR YOUR INTENDED PURPOSE.

BTW WITH PMR'S MAGNETIC CAST CONTROL SYSTEM YOU ALSO HAVE TO TRAIN/EDUCATE YOUR LEFT FINGERS OR RIGHT TO MAKE ADJUSTMENTS WHILE THE "PROJECTILE" IS ZOOMING INTO THE HORIZON...PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT! AS FOR ME MY THUMB IS SOMEWHAT EDUCATED.

good luck and tight lines!

ps i have the FTH12 which is now the FTH12 MLBar and "it's out of control" for the time being... ;D :D ;) :)

Penn

Quote from: BQN on December 30, 2016, 02:04:44 AM
Hi Tony,

Bests,

Bao

Not sure how much weight matters to you but just for reference :

TORQUE 100 - 23oz
TRQ12 - 16.9oz
TRQ15 - 17.1oz.

tony

BQN

Quote from: Potiguar - AKA MeL B on December 30, 2016, 01:34:20 PM
FLEABAY LESS THAN $326.00
BUT I'D RATHER BUY THE TQ12...IMO IS A BETTER CHOICE FOR YOUR INTENDED PURPOSE.

BTW WITH PMR'S MAGNETIC CAST CONTROL SYSTEM YOU ALSO HAVE TO TRAIN/EDUCATE YOUR LEFT FINGERS OR RIGHT TO MAKE ADJUSTMENTS WHILE THE "PROJECTILE" IS ZOOMING INTO THE HORIZON...PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT! AS FOR ME MY THUMB IS SOMEWHAT EDUCATED.

good luck and tight lines!

ps i have the FTH12 which is now the FTH12 MLBar and "it's out of control" for the time being... ;D :D ;) :)

Quote from: Penn on December 30, 2016, 03:11:33 PM
Quote from: BQN on December 30, 2016, 02:04:44 AM
Hi Tony,

Bests,

Bao

Not sure how much weight matters to you but just for reference :

TORQUE 100 - 23oz
TRQ12 - 16.9oz
TRQ15 - 17.1oz.

tony

Good morning!

I need to go into a store and hold some reels/rods. haha The TRQ12 @ 5oz lighter should be very noticeable.

Whatever I decide to get, i'll report back to this thread.

Thank you for the recommendations Mel & Tony.

Cheers,

Bao

:)

- L.G.P.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

TRQ12 FLEABAY LESS THAN $326;) :)

seller from San Diego BNIB

tight lines!