Need help please 113hn baja special

Started by Iyad, December 23, 2017, 03:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

On the side plate does it the look like the bearing cap has been cross threaded or not threaded strait from the factory? Or if the through hole in the side plate is not strait? If so this could tilt the spool enough to rub against the frame.

To me it looks like the spool and frame are out of line and if the frame is strait and you would most likely see damage to the frame if it got tweeked, then it must be the spool.

mikeysm

Frames are near impossible to find for the baja special. Looks like if you could find one you would have a nice reel.

Mike

Iyad

Quote from: SoCalAngler on December 26, 2017, 05:31:42 PM
On the side plate does it the look like the bearing cap has been cross threaded or not threaded strait from the factory? If so this could tilt the spool enough to rub against the frame.

To me it looks like the spool and frame are out of line and if the frame is strait then it must be the spool.

No the threads are clean.
Is there any after market frame for this reel. I guess i should be looking for a frame now thinking of used one or after market

SoCalAngler

I'm not sure but maybe a Penn USA Senator 113N would work? Those are silver frames. Maybe a call to Scoots Bait and Tackle and they would know?

Iyad

Quote from: SoCalAngler on December 26, 2017, 05:50:25 PM
I'm not sure but maybe a Penn USA Senator 113N would work? Those are silver frames. Maybe a call to Scoots Bait and Tackle and they would know?
I live in middle east it hard to call them ill try to email them any chance the internals will fit another reel if i cant find a frame maybe a 4/0?

mikeysm

It's 124 dollars for a new frame half of what a new old stock reel costs.

Mike

handi2

In this picture you can see the side plate is not fully seated. Is this before you took it apart?

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JRD

It sure looks like that cross bar is twisted a degree or two.  If the reel seat is ok and not torqued it's hard to imagine how that much force was applied so as to rotate the sides of the frame in opposite directions.😯

Rivverrat

While I lack the depth of  knowledge among some of you regarding Senator reels the Baja / US113 is one I love & am a little bit familiar with.

For what it's worth I've noticed large variations in the width of the crossbar between the Baja & US113. Some I've seen are to thin for my liking. But still should stand up well to any pressure from drag & a fleeing fish. 1st pic Baja  2nd US113 ... Jeff

steelfish

without the reel in our hands is very hard to give a proper diagnistic
I have 2 Baja Special reels and another in the works (missing few parts to complete it)
so it wont be difficult to check if the spool is twisted or if the frame is the culprit.

but what I can see (it might not be part of the problem) is the spool sits too deep in one site of the frame and too far from the other side, I will post a picture of your reel with lines to try to make myself clear
on the picture of my Baja Special you will see the spool "shoulders" are equal in both sides on how it sits on the frame.
so, I would check both bearings on the sideplates and shim as needed.
is the bearing cap on the left sideplate tightened all the way ?
The Baja Guy

Tiddlerbasher

Maybe the frame should have been a reject at the factory - but managed to slip through Q/C :-\ It does happen.

Daniel Martinez

Hi Guys...

Sorry for my poor English. I had the same problem on a 113HN from a client. The shaft detached from the spool. Does anyone know how to fix it again?