Prioritizing Upgrade Parts

Started by Baller777, January 02, 2017, 06:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattm94

This is my first post, but have you considered simply restoring your grandfather's reel, or leaving it as-is and appreciating it how he used it?  For the price of upgrades you're considering, pimping another JM that can be had for about $20 might be worth it. 

I inherited my grandfather's deer rifle in my teens, and replaced the stock in my early twenties.  Now, a couple decades later, I wish I'd have left it how it was, just cleaned and lubed it, and left the cracked and repaired stock on it.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Mattm94 on January 13, 2017, 04:55:37 AM
leaving it as-is and appreciating it how he used it?

done that in some used reels that i've bought. sometimes it needs new parts because lack of preventive maintenance. but there are reels that need to be "pimped" without costing you an arm and a leg e.g. CF washers if it needs replacement or original ones are not CF. my 2 cents...

tight lines!

Reel 224

Quote from: Mattm94 on January 13, 2017, 04:55:37 AM
This is my first post, but have you considered simply restoring your grandfather's reel, or leaving it as-is and appreciating it how he used it?  For the price of upgrades you're considering, pimping another JM that can be had for about $20 might be worth it. 

I inherited my grandfather's deer rifle in my teens, and replaced the stock in my early twenties.  Now, a couple decades later, I wish I'd have left it how it was, just cleaned and lubed it, and left the cracked and repaired stock on it.

Good thought as far as I'm concerned, I have restored some keepsakes from hand me downs and in some cases I had wished I kept them in the original shape also. The mater of the original post is an objective one and should be a personal preference as we all have different opinions, but there is a lot of options offered her that are exclusive to the forum.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

also in my vocabulary the word "restore" usually means most probably whatever you want to restore is not in good shape... ;D :D ;) :)

Keta

Quote from: Baller777 on January 04, 2017, 11:29:45 PM

I'm going to have to find one for my Penn 100 as well!

I have a few SS 15-200 AR dogs left.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain