trying out some PacBay TW twist guides for restoring an old fishing rod

Started by steelfish, January 02, 2017, 09:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Well this is an old "no name" rod from my friend who runs a panga charter service here in Baja (north cortez sea), as background this rod was giving to me to fix one bent and corroded guide and the tiptop, but since this guy have been a really good friend lately for me and my family I wanted to replace all guides for free as a gift for him, found this TW twist guides on Pacbay catalog and after talk with my friend I ordered to try them out an check if they would last longer than the classic wire chrome boat guides XGB.
as a side note I still an amateur rod repair guide and still learning on every restoring job I do, so please forgive some mistakes and details on the wraping and finish application, but of course every recommendation or tip will be welcome to improve any detail you see.

well, lets the pics do the talking

this is the condition the rod was when it was given to me to repair

and this is how the rod looks right now..

time will tell if this style of guides last as long or longer than the chrome boat guides fishing 4-5 days a week on rough panga enviroment not the flashy sporty boats
The Baja Guy

Ron Jones

You did a great job cleaning up that blank. I hope the guides work out. Overall great job.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

Bryan Young

Ice job getting that cruddy old pole looking rather dapper in it's new skins and bling.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

What I really like is that you can still see some of the old in the blank. It looks like a rebuild to a blank that deserved it as opposed to a spankin new rod. Nothing wrong with showing off the effects of good, honest work.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Swami805

Wow that cleaned up nicely, I'm sure your buddy will like it.  Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

whalebreath

Outstanding job-very cool look.  8)

That tip-top will break first they always do but are easy to replace.

Bill B

Outstanding brother, I think you just made a friend for life with that rod.....did you have to repaint the blank or just a good scrub and clear coat?   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steelfish

Quote from: TARFU on January 03, 2017, 05:39:08 AM
...did you have to repaint the blank or just a good scrub and clear coat?   Bill

Since the rod was heavily scratched I sanded the blank to take some old paint off and made the surface more even, Then painted it and put a very light coating of epoxy finish on the whole blank, thats the old way it was done all over Baja for many years,  so, I did it the Same way for my old friend.
I wanted to try out Voodoo CPxtra but never ordered, next time will be.

@whalebreath, I know this tiptop wont last that much but my friend hate guides and tips with ceramic, so no many options with just metal tips

@ Thanks Guys for the kínd words, hopefully my friend like it and get a big one with it
The Baja Guy