Penn 20/0 Senator

Started by The Great Maudu, January 06, 2017, 07:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

I'd say it was worth $125 just for the parts. But that is what it would be worth to me.

Gunrunner

Ok this is what the guy said  I see that it has a ball bearing on the left, non handle side, and a standard bearing on the right side. I enclosed pics. Ed

Ok so what do these pics and information
Tell us I'm a little lost as to what this means
Sorry guys a lack of knowledge on my part

Alto Mare

Gunrunner, I believe you have all the answers you need. There have been talks here about a 3-piece spool getting warped when tightly loaded with mono, most prefer the 1-piece spool.
With that said, some collectors would only collect these reels with the 3-piece spool, from the 1/0 to the 16/0.

If you are going to fish this reel, as Daron as mentioned, walk away. If you are going to use it for parts, or put it on a shelf, I will stick to what I've said above and it is just my personal opinion, a little north or south from $150 is a fair price for that reel.

Rudy has mentioned there is about $120 worth of parts here, I will tell you when you purchase these reels from parts and put them together, it will usually cost you 50% to 75% more than what it would be when buying already assembled. You have more than $120 worth of parts here.

Again, to sum it up.  If you're thinking of fishing this reel, walk away.

I need parts, but this one having two types of plates, I couldn't use it or I would grab it if you didn't want it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gunrunner

Sounds like I should walk away one question
How hard would it be to put this reel back together
The right way with a proper end plate and
Bearing and all also what is the reason one can't fish
This reel I only because I have a 6/0 and a 9/0
With the bushings and 3 piece reel they seem
To work fine so far any way

Penn Chronology

QuoteSounds like I should walk away one question
How hard would it be to put this reel back together
The right way with a proper end plate and
Bearing and all also what is the reason one can't fish
This reel I only because I have a 6/0 and a 9/0
With the bushings and 3 piece reel they seem
To work fine so far any way

Interesting modification on this reel. I have never seen anyone mix a sleeve and bearing reel side plates like that. I find the spool shaft is a different length when the spool bearings are changed. In my opinion this reel is a pure parts reel and the spool might be modified, so the value of the spool is a moot value.
            The reel is not worth bringing back to life to fish. IMHO, unless you have old used parts around your shop that will do the job, Then offer $75.00 for it. I am not a fan of a reel that has been thrown together with improper parts. I do not mind old parts that has lost their eye appeal; but, the wrong part is simply creating a Rube Goldberg product that will fit; but not really fit and work; but, not really work.

Three piece spools were OK; until they were blown up to the big game reels. The expansion and contraction of the wet and dry linen lines and the stressed and unstressed linen lines caused the side flanges to loosen on the 10/0 and up sizes. I feel that the three piece spool has a historical design. It was originally designed for small reels. That is probably where it should have always been used.
               When Penn decided to move into big game reels in the late 1930, their design concept was simple, put the Penn Long Beach on steroids. It worked on all the size models until the 10/0 and larger reels. On the larger reels it worked; but, it did not work well. The large reels idled along with the three spool for about 15 years until the one piece spool proved to be about a thousand times better.
              In todays world, for fishing purposes, I would use and old, corrected one piece spool before any three piece on a large model.

oc1

Funny how we used to scribe our social security number on guns and reels (like this one) and now we're supposed to go to great lengths to hide our social security number from everyone.
-steve

Gunrunner

This is true again I thank you all for your knowledge
And appreciate your support and input in helping
Me not to make a rash descison that would
Most definitely upset the wife and placed me in the
Dog house looks like it's a wait and se game for
My next rebuild we will have to see what fate
Brings me

Thanx again guys
Scott

coastal_dan

I agree all around but I'll add my .02 anyway  ;)

I had seen that reel on the auction site, if you aren't planning on using and just shelfing it than $100 seems like a fair price, toss in $20 or so for shipping.  But if you plan on using it there are others out there much cleaner and ready to fish that included the braces and rod clamps...but you'll need to pay for it, say in the $200 - $250 range.  At that price point find your self a decent 12/0 which has more readily available parts and more line capacity.

I personally love the SS number scribed in the ring...shows a different time and comfort level with security and identity...a time when things were a bit simpler.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Gunrunner

Yes back in one could almost say a more innocent
Time I remember as a kid we never locked the
House in fact not till I was in college did we
Have a lock for the front door it was a much
Different time then tag now that is for sure

Gunrunner

I'm not looking for show case reels just decent
Ones that need some work that I can fish with
When I'm done like the 9/0 I just finished up the
Before pics

Gunrunner

And these are the after pic of the old 9/0 with
No part numbers

Gunrunner

And here is the 6/0 without numbers before

Gunrunner

The 6/0 after pics

Gunrunner

And then here are all 3 the Center one is the
First 9/0 I did for got the before pics

Shark Hunter

Looking and Laughing at this old thread that we all had a good time with, is about to become a reality.
Randy's 20/0 kits for the 14 and 16/0 Senator are going to have a full frame and 6" width spool.
Bigfoot lives! ;)
Life is Good!