Frame strength

Started by deepblack, April 14, 2011, 09:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepblack

Hi All,
  i am just after opinions on frame strength of the Shimano Tyrnos 30II, what drag are they capable of withstanding?  I am looking to fish 50lb top shots with 80lb hollow braid backing predominantly for Striped and Black Marlin with the option of changing to an 80lb top shot when the bigger Blue Marlin are about.  I have no issues with the capability of the reel for 50lb (if this was the only line class I was fishing I would have went with a TLD 30II) but I am concerned about it handling heavy drag for 80lb.  The reason I am trying to limit this to a 30 sized reel is the ease of use for pitch baiting.  I will be buying two reels and mounting them on 50lb Ian Miller designed full roller rods that I already own.  I will buy a Tiagra or Penn V if I have to but the budget is tight.  Any suggestions/comments?
Cheers,
   John.

akfish

You're definitely pushing any graphite (read: plastic) framed reel with 80#. For what you want to do, I'd go with something with a full metal frame -- Penn 30VSX, Avet EX30/2, and Accurate ATL 30 are my choices. The Okuma Makaira is another option but I've never personally fished one.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bryan Young

You should be fine.  The Tyrnos 30II is rated for 80# Power Pro with max 33# drag.  I did say rated...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

Only occasionally do I see TLD 30IIs with cracked frames from fishing 80# for big halibut. Only occasionally...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

if it was straight 50, or even perhaps straight 60, then i think that either the tld or tyrnos would be fine.  the minute you start talking about 80, you jump up to the next class.  i just got a makaira 20 two speed. it holds 500 yards of 100# spectra and will accomodate a short topshot anything you want to put on it.  bottom line, i think you now need a reel with a full aluminum cage. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Maybe pickup a used TLD 30II on the cheap add a topless frame, after market drag plate and you should be fine with 80lb test and have a fine pitching reel for billfish. Then later if you want get a after market handle. Or invest that money in a better reel to start out with.

alantani

that would work, but it would probably be better in the long run to just take the plunge and get the right reel to begin with. 

deepblack

Hmmm, Ok sounds like 2x 30WLRS Tiagras it is then....  Thanks for the input guys.
Cheers,
   John.

alantani

check out the okuma makairas as well. 

deepblack

Alan,
   The Makiras look like a nice reel but they are $250 more than the Tiagras.  That's more than I can justify when buying two

conchydong

Quote from: deepblack on April 27, 2011, 09:30:19 AM
Alan,
   The Makiras look like a nice reel but they are $250 more than the Tiagras.  That's more than I can justify when buying two

??????? Makairas are actually less money than Tiagras in the tackle stores that I have seen. A Makaira 20 is actually like a  Penn International or Tiagra 30(narrow) size wise. Chark has Mak. 20's for $480.00 Most tackle shops list the Tiagra 30W LRSA at $570.00.
I know which one I would buy!