Stradic 3000fj noise

Started by Mkling, January 09, 2017, 06:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

A Washington State river guide getting his gear serviced during the storms.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FatTuna

I'm going to have to join the crowd and agree with a bad bearing. I think I replace more bearings on stradics than any other reel. Aside from that, they are excellent reels.

I've seen corroded antireverses on Shimanos that make a loud whirring noise too but it's usually pretty loud

I wouldn't even bother trying to save the bearings. Just buy some new ones. They are super cheap.

handi2

Quote from: FatTuna on January 11, 2017, 06:43:38 AM
I'm going to have to join the crowd and agree with a bad bearing. I think I replace more bearings on stradics than any other reel. Aside from that, they are excellent reels.

I've seen corroded antireverses on Shimanos that make a loud whirring noise too but it's usually pretty loud

I wouldn't even bother trying to save the bearings. Just buy some new ones. They are super cheap.

Ditto
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on January 11, 2017, 04:56:37 PM
Quote from: FatTuna on January 11, 2017, 06:43:38 AM

Ditto

Yep...
When I get a noisy stradic on my bench, first order of buisness is to order a full set of bearings.

Johj
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Mkling

Thanks to this forum I got all my Stradics working good finally. Thank you everyone for the help.

sharkman

My guess would also be bearing.... Almost every shimano spinning reel I work on bearings seems to be the problem....

Donnyboat

could it be the spool rubing on the rotor, paint both with Yamaha marine grease lightly, give it a few turns, and take the spool of should show were it is scraping, I agree with Brett if you use thick grease in bearings, it will bog it down, even slower in cold weather, new bearings not all that costly. cheers Don. please inform us on how you get on.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Got one FJ3000, popular reels. One thing to definitely oil n' not grease isa line roller bearing. Also if ya fish'em in saltwater gotta check that particular bearing more often than others.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

lifeofRiley

Yeah mate. Don't use marine grease on a reel this small. It will just bog down the gears and moving parts and make the damned thing as stiff as an ironing board even if you thin it down.

Use the genuine Shimano products: ACE2 grease for parts and Permalube for bearings. These greases are much lighter than marine grease and will result in optimal performance for a reel this size.
~
[/quote]

Are these products available for purchase in the US? It seems grease options from Shimano USA are so limited!
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7

exp2000

Quote from: lifeofRiley on March 18, 2017, 06:21:49 AM

Are these products available for purchase in the US? It seems grease options from Shimano USA are so limited!

They have it here in Oz so I would expect so. Give them a call.

Ebay might be an alternate source.

Apparently Shimano USA do have it according to their Tackletour Rep.

Otherwise:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Permalub-Reel-Grease-50-g-RD10050-for-Spin-Baitcast-Troll-Jig-reel-gears-/192116057953

You could probably use this all round.
~