Ocean City Inductor 250 Model A

Started by rfkca, March 05, 2019, 04:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkca

Hi group,  

I recently purchased an OC Inductor 250 (inspired by its ground breaking unique features as discussed on this site).  I've read through all relevant posts including literature posted by Mike C.  The parts schematic shown for the Inductors refers to them as "Model B" and I'm going to guess "Model B" may even be stamped on the bottom of the reel stand.  The reason I bring this up is when I referred to the parts diagram and compared the dog mechanism to the reel I own, I noticed mine has a copper strip rather than a spring. Further, the dog mounting post attached to the bridge as shown in Sal's build photos does not exist on mine.

No problem reassembling with a strip vs a spring, but as I was reinstalling the reel stand I noticed it had "Model A" stamped on its bottom.

From my research, the 1950 parts list that is out there on the Web describes the Inductor 250 as a Model B. I am assuming that the Model A was issued to the public before the model B.  Would this then mean that the Model A is 1949 or earlier? In any event, I've not come across any mention of Model A Ocean City reels on the Web but I have seen most literature (admittedly limited research) refer to them as Model B's.

I'm curious to see how many of the inductor or other OC reel owners have Model A reels and if there is anything else unique about them.

One additional question, The spool coating on this reel seems more "copperish" than those I've seen in other posts. Would any know if this is just more or less wear or perhaps a different coating?

Riy2018

very unique design! absolutely revolution using mags.
I have also an older one.
haven't used it.

Donnyboat

Sweet reel thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

philaroman

cool reel

The spool coating on this reel seems more "copperish" than those I've seen in other posts. Would any know if this is just more or less wear or perhaps a different coating?

no expertise w/ OC...  just, in general...  why "coating"?
wouldn't it just be base metal brass/bronze
no set alloy "recipe" -- varying % copper, depending on year/maker

oc1

Is that copper colored area an insert or the spool flange itself?  That's the area the magnets react to.  Those Alnico magnets were not nearly as strong as the neodymium magnets we have today.  Don't know.  Maybe they needed something more conductive than brass.  Those are really cool reels though.  The line is a bit unusual for a surf reel.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oc1 on January 01, 2022, 04:37:10 AM
Is that copper colored area an insert or the spool flange itself?  That's the area the magnets react to.  Those Alnico magnets were not nearly as strong as the neodymium magnets we have today.  Don't know.  Maybe they needed something more conductive than brass.  Those are really cool reels though.  The line is a bit unusual for a surf reel.
When this thread popped up the other day and i saw the copper looking ring .      I have inherited a 250 and it was in tough shape .
  I took it apart .    The washer was unglued  from the spool .     It is magnetic .     In the photo it may look yellow , but that was the glue that held it in
   place .  There is a cork like ring glued to the spool to act as a spacer also .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

:o    OK this may sound like my cheese slid off the cracker , but this ring has a strong side and a weak side .
        The shinny side is strong to the magnets and the copper / brass showing through is the weak side .
   There is a very noticeable difference when you flip the ring around , and i did not change the air gap adjustment .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oc1

I wonder if it was installed as a magnetic insert, or became magnetized by the brake magnets.  While you have it open check to see if the magnetic brake pucks are alternating polarity.

Ron Jones

I'd be willing to bet it was plated with a less magnetic metal (the "coppery" side) in order to provide different resistance / reduce electrolysis or something. Just a Super SWAG.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

rfka,  according to Cacioppo, Michael. Ocean City Fishing Reels, A Collector's Guide, 1922- 1957 The Inductor 250 was introduced in 1949.  The book does not mention a Model A, only a Model B.  So I am going to make two assumptions, one, the foot which is stamped "Model A" is an original part (as opposed to it having come from another reel) and two, A comes before B so the reel you have should be one of the introductory models from 1949.  Mike might weigh in on this thread and give us a better explanation.  Nice find.  I have 2 Inductors and one is a level wind model.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Riy2018

very interesting design. 
more I learn on Ocean City reels It is getting more interesting to collect them.
By the way what was the price for inductor when it was released?