113h knock off / clone or which brand is this next reel?

Started by steelfish, January 10, 2017, 01:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

a close friend just brough me this reel to check it out, he though it was a penn 113h and at first I though the same, but as soon as I have it on my hands there is no penn name or any other number or letter related to a Senator , penn or 113h or even a 113h2 model

anyone that is not much into fishing reels would say is the same 113h reel, but as you can see is not.

have you ever seen this reel model before?
it is a copy-cat or clone reel or it belongs to a legit known brand?
I couldnt found anything on the web similar to this reel

or maybe its a 113h2 with lost tags and lettering and Im just paranoid?
The Baja Guy

RowdyW

It's not a 113H2. It looks like a copy though. Open it up and let's see how close to a copy the inside is. You might be able to use 113H parts or modified parts. I guess you can see the eccentric lever is backwards.            Rudy

Maxed Out

Made in Japan knockoff.....and a really bad knockoff at that  ::) ::)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

steelfish

well, I opened the reel yesterday and its looks good inside, since there are not a way to know the brand of the reel I cannot say it was considered a cheapo reel or a true chinese clone, too bad there are some components looks are very prone to break easy and the steel used on some parts is too thin, but other than that it would be good for some weekend warrior that might use it 2 or 3 times per years.

it has more similarities to the Newell reels inside than to the senator family, surprisely uses carbon fiber drag washers, with the exact same size than a Jigmaster so this is good.

it didnt share any parts to the jigmaster or the 113h reel, I dont know which other reel could share any parts with this reel, in case that something break inside or outside Im afraid it will go the trash can

handle hole has the same form than newells

really similar, but arent interchambeable

spool is aluminium, really similar material to some early omoto models

so, I cleaned everything, even the bearings, put new yamaha grease, tsi321 oil, cals grease on the drag and set the reel to be used as loaner to some rockie hands
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

I'm not sure about the quality of the parts, but that reel appears to be a very capable reel.
I like the clutch design better than the Penn 113H... just like the Newells.

I like it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

I do like the aluminum spool, and the clutch design.  Looks like it couod use a new gear sleeve.  Wonder if  Newel SS sleeve would fit it?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

steelfish

thats my exact thoughts on the reel Sal, looks pretty good, but needs a bit more attention on servicing it after every season,
too bad there is no name brand anywhere on the reel, to look for spare parts.

by the way, does someone knows if there is a larger eccentric lever than the one use on the jigmasters?
this reels is using a non stock freespool lever, thats why is backwards, the top of the lever simply dont reach the top of the reel sideplate if I put it correctly, now I need to find a longer lever, it just need to be 3-5mm longer but same hole size than jigmaster
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 10, 2017, 11:56:58 PM
I do like the aluminum spool, and the clutch design.  Looks like it couod use a new gear sleeve.  Wonder if  Newel SS sleeve would fit it?

well a SS newell sleeve would be good, but gears would be still non SS

the stock gear sleeve doesnt look that bad, the reel didnt came with any undermain gear washer at all, I found a used hard-plastic (delrin?) undergear washer from a 500L reel and it fit like a glove, for now I will leave it there until get a new batch of different sizes delrin washers from Dawn

this is how it looked when I opened it up, no undergear washer

this is the used undergear washer I put there

Cals grease, yamaha and go

The Baja Guy

JRD

Quote from: steelfish on January 11, 2017, 12:11:35 AM
thats my exact thoughts on the reel Sal, looks pretty good, but needs a bit more attention on servicing it after every season,
too bad there is no name brand anywhere on the reel, to look for spare parts.

by the way, does someone knows if there is a larger eccentric lever than the one use on the jigmasters?
this reels is using a non stock freespool lever, thats why is backwards, the top of the lever simply dont reach the top of the reel sideplate if I put it correctly, now I need to find a longer lever, it just need to be 3-5mm longer but same hole size than jigmaster

The 21-49 lever should work for you.  Here is a picture.  The 21-49 is the bottom lever with a few  21-66  to show the difference.

foakes

If you figure out which number would work, and do not have one -- let me know and I will send you one at N/C.

Got a bunch of these.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

borchcl

I thought that style of drag required an odd number of friction washers to work properly, I see four.
Regards,
Charlie

fishgrain

at first I thought Anon-Shaw .... but expected to see "made in Japan" stamped on the foot

steelfish

Quote from: foakes on January 11, 2017, 03:49:40 AM
If you figure out which number would work, and do not have one -- let me know and I will send you one at N/C.

Got a bunch of these.

Best,

Fred

thanks Fred, I havent checked the current "short" lever on the reel to see the part number, I will do it today and let you know, I dont have any stock of parts so, I will accept your offert as soon as I know the part I actually need.

seems like the 21-49 should work , thanks JRD

@Fishgrain, that Anon-shaw is really a copy of the 4/0, the one I have doesnt have the 4 long screws of the bridge through the external side of the right side plate

The Baja Guy

sdlehr

Alex, it looks to me like the last fiber and metal drag washers are there to take up space, not functional.... unless the stack compresses down.... the next to last metal washer seems to be clear of the main gear, which is OK, but that would leave the last one non-functional.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector