TLD 15 question?

Started by broadway, April 15, 2011, 06:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

So, I've never cracked open a Shimano TLD 15, (or any other TLD).  My question is, what's the best way to remove a cooling shield. Do I pry it, unscrew it, or what? This is another one of the Captain's reels I'm workin' on.  I don't think I've come across one part of any of the 14 I've done so far that wasn't horribly corroded.  I will be giving him a copy on my how to maintain a reel when I give him the reels back.  I'm sure most of the corrosion (internally) is from the lack of lubrication and grease during production because most are BONE dry on the inside. I've had to remove every part off every reel to dunk in my salt away or vinegar solutions to remove the caked on crystals.... ugggh!
An ounce of prevention...
Thanks
Dom

akfish

You unscrew the shield and it's reverse thread. That said, they can be a real drag to get off. I have a strap wrench that sometimes helps. And sometimes it must be destroyed...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

broadway

Thanks AK... I'll do it this week. 
Dom

Norcal Pescador

Do the words "Preventive Maintenance" ring a bell? If only the manufacturers would stress that more. :(  Oh, yeah, I forgot. Many change their designs on a weekly basis so last month's reel is obsolete in order to keep selling the newest, latest, and greatest. >:(      Ahhhh. I feel better already. :)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

wallacewt

try putting some rubber around the shield to get a really good grip.just maybe!

Bryan Young

I thought Dom was a pure Penn guy.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 16, 2011, 05:26:52 AM
I though Dom was a pure Penn guy.

Yea me too, ::) I'm glad that he's getting his feet wet with other models. I'm sure when it's all settled and done he will come back to us...I mean Penn ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Bryan and Sal,

I collect only Penn's, but I fish Saltigas, Calcutta Te's, and yes my favorite... PENN!  For other people I have worked on over many different Newells, Saltists, several older Daiwas (50h- 600h), and plenty of different Penn reels.  You guys have given me the confidence it takes to crack these babies open cause if a problem arises I got all of you to help me out... kinda like walking through the woods at night with ten guys instead of going solo.  I love knowing I have a ton of compadres willing to help out in a pinch... thanks to Alan for getting us all together. 

Rob,

Get it all out, Pal... cause your 100% correct!  ;D

Thanks
Dom

steel120

Question on Parts for TLD 15 ___New Member__First Post?

I have 2 TLD 15 from the early 1980s about 84?  Original owner, reels have seldom been used. Son wants to use, but needs
maintenance, lube/clean. Not corroded/still work, but free reeling is slow or non existence. Used for trolling.

Question is what part if any to order prior to opening and cleaning?  I have looked at schematic, and perhaps the Drag Washer part No. 68 and the No. 0191 have minor pitting (drag quadrant). Hopefully the bearings can be cleaned and lubed without replacement?

Any suggestions as to other items?

Have Reel-x lube, marine grease, carb cleaner, need to pick up some corrosion-x

Thanks Bob

akfish

The most important thing to do to your TLD 15 is replace the stock canvas drag washer with a greased Carbontex washer from Smooth Drag. Then be sure to heavily grease the pinion bearing. And don't push the reel too hard. The "15" in the name meant the reel was optimized for 15 lb. line. It'll fish 30 lb. OK, but nothing more -- you'll torque the frame and fry the gears almost as soon as you damage the pinion bearing.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bryan Young

To add to AKFish's response, I would not pre-order parts because you may not need them.  Get things cleaned up first, then see what you need.  I presume that you don't want your reels out of commision for a period of time, but this way, you will not be stuck with parts that you may never use or use for a long time.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

the threads on the cooling shield are reversed.  sometimes it gets stuck.  to remove it, you can put the spool in vise and gently clamp down on the cooling shields.  you will see the places on the cooling shield that are flat.  then turn the spool.  work great.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!