Does Anyone Know About These ABU Auto Spins?

Started by foakes, January 15, 2017, 10:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Found a box of these in storage -- well made vintage reels -- various sizes. 

I think you just press the edge of the front & center ring to release the line for casting.

These are all metal under rod spinning reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

richard

they were very popular in UK for "match fishing "
the idea is to catch as many small fish as possible in a certain time.
12 ft or longer rods ,2lb line sometimes 1lb hook link, and a very sensitive float(bobber) weighted down with tiny split shot.
You could retrieve and cast out quickly by pressing the spool center one handed(same reason the mitchell "match" had that auto bail thingy'.
Different types of maggots were used ,dyed red etc .You might bait up (chum) with a catapult,and keep a few maggots in your mouth so they were active even in winter!!
Popular in canals,lakes ,and rivers......the ABU 506 was the classic.
Light lines were less likely to tangle behind the spool....happy days ::)

Midway Tommy

Fred,

They're still quite popular and have a good following. There are a lot of people that prefer the semi closed face underspin to an open face spinner. You should be able to peddle them fairly easily if they're in good working condition.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)