alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial regular corrosionx
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
February 21, 2020, 04:19:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: regular corrosionx  (Read 9302 times)
mike1010
Photo Group

« on: January 17, 2017, 02:58:26 PM »

Hi, folks.  I usually hang out on the fishing reel side, but have a firearm-specific question.

There's "corrosionx for guns," but has anybody ever used regular corrosionx on a gun?  What was your experience?

I have a Winchester 1200 12 gauge that had not been touched in almost 40 years.  I decided to wake it up, and first serviced it, using regular corrosionx as the lube because that's what I have.  I put five quick rounds through the gun; it started smoking, and the smoke smelled like a trash fire.  Is it the corrosionx in the chamber, or is there something else going on, like old Hoppe's #9 that was just sitting there?  Thanks.

Mike
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 05:26:24 PM »

Mike: For my two cents worth this the way I have serviced guns for 60 years.

1-Barrel a good solvent like Hoppe's #9 and final push with a dry patch, if you are going to store the gun then lightly patch the bore with gun oil, before I use the gun I will dry patch the barrel to absorb all oil.   
2-Action light gun oil. on hinge actions I use gun grease LIGHTLY
3-outer metal wipe down with a oil soaked rag (I use an old rag that has been lightly soaked) and then wipe with a clean cloth.
4- wood (stoch & forearm) no oil wipe it down and leave it.

Remember over oiling can attract moisture and dirt, I have many different solvents and oils in my gun shop......to many to mention for just servicing a simple gun and it's not necessary for your question. The important thing is don't leave oil in the chamber or barrel, it is dangerous and can build up unnecessary pressure in the chamber.

Joe         

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
mike1010
Photo Group

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 06:24:53 AM »

Thanks, Joe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: