Bail Spring troubles Shimano

Started by Iceman, January 18, 2017, 06:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iceman

Hey all, took apart my Shimano Sonora to do some cleaning, and while putting back together the bail spring has been the biggest pain. I cant figure out how to place these parts in here to where it stays or closes properly. Please help. Will post poctures of the pieces.

alantani

in the "upwards" orientation, the spring and the "L" go on the left with the short leg of the "L" stuck into the bail arm and the spring on the long leg of the "L."  the short leg of the "L" fits into a hole in the underside of the bail arm.  the dog leg piece should go on the right side, with short end of the dog leg on top.  you also appear to be missing a piece.  it's a bail spring guide RD 6689.  and the schematic doesn't even show the dog leg bar. 

http://fish.shimano.com/content/dam/shimanoweb/fish/sac-fish/en/techdocs/current-models--2-1/SONORA/SON1500FA
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Iceman

Quote from: alantani on January 18, 2017, 07:52:32 PM
in the "upwards" orientation, the spring and the "L" go on the left with the short leg of the "L" stuck into the bail arm and the spring on the long leg of the "L."  the short leg of the "L" fits into a hole in the underside of the bail arm.  the dog leg piece should go on the right side, with short end of the dog leg on top.  you also appear to be missing a piece.  it's a bail spring guide RD 6689.  and the schematic doesn't even show the dog leg bar. 

http://fish.shimano.com/content/dam/shimanoweb/fish/sac-fish/en/techdocs/current-models--2-1/SONORA/SON1500FA

My reel is the Sonora 2500 FB, i noticed that you had the 1500 fa schematic pulled up. Not sure how much of a difference this would make.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

Iceman, sometimes it'll help me, if I know what each part does(difficult on Shimanos). Small "L" bar with the spring around it loads pressure on the bail after it's opened. The "dogleg" bar which also inserts into the bail arm moves down when bail's opened. The longer bend inserts straight into the bottom a the rotor and 1) engages a rubber ring to keep the rotor from moving when the bail's open (premature closure with line goin out while casting-BAD), 2) when reeling back in, the same part a the bar is bumped by a plastic(?) cam which closes the bail. The ring 'n cam can't be seen 'till the rotor is removed.

Don't see a rubber ring on your schematic(my Stratic has one), but it's probably the same principal.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!