Thanks for the great products and education Bryan

Started by Mic, January 23, 2017, 02:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mic

Bryan,
I wanted to drop you a quick line, but I don't think I can say it all very quickly. I wanted you to know that I really appreciate you and Alan giving all of us your in site and expertise in the world of keeping good fishing reels great.

Last Friday night my son and I were fishing in Rock Port Tx. and an old Ambassador my dad gave me 30 years ago was drug into the bay. I casted for it for about 20 minutes and just let it go as lost. Saturday evening we were fishing again and decide to head to the house about 6:30 that evening. When my son was reeling in lines, he caught the line of the lost rod and reel from the night before. He was really proud. He loved that reel because his biggest fish have been caught on it. 45 pound round nose gar, 25.5" redfish, and a 12 pound flathead. It's been a great reel from he and I both.

I brought the reel to the cleaning station and opened it up right there and washed all the sand and salt out of it right there on the dock. Ran it to the truck and sprayed it down with some penetrating oil. Put it back together and still sounds like my great grandma's Singer sowing machine. You know the one's that would catch your finger three times before you were smart enough to get your finger out of the wheel ?

Anyway. I know that reel would be a desktop weight if it had not been for the Corrosion X and the Cal's that was put in it during it's last breakdown and cleaning. 20 hours in 6' of salt water and sand and it's as good now as it was in Switzerland 30+ years ago.

My dad passed away Friday the 13. My family and I took the weekend off after his funeral last Monday. I think he had a hand in my son getting that reel back.

Thanks again to you and Alan for your knowledge in helping me teach a herd headed 10 year boy that just because it's old, don't mean it aint no good.

I'll be sending you a private note later on as I need a couple of drag kits for a couple Penn 210's that need Power Steering and Power Breaks added as well as a couple of 4X4 Power Handles. Maybe you can help me out with some drag washers for a 30+ year old 5500 Hero Ambassador. I want to replace them before I put it back on the track.

Thank you again for the knowledge of doing it right!

Mic

Ron Jones

Mic,
I am sorry for your loss and will be praying for you and yours. I'm glad you got the heirloom back and can't wait to here more fishing stories about it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

vilters

really cool story, thanks for sharing. love them old abu's and gulf coast fishing, I miss texas coast a lot. you can get drag washers for the abu's from smooth drag, just got a couple sets for mine. and you're right, great resource of info/knowledge here, really stepped up my game.

Reel 224

Mic; It's a great tribute to your father, and yourself for teaching your son that age is good even better some time. I'm sorry for you loss. I lost my Father in 1973 and I still miss him.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

mic, sorry to hear about your father.  glad to hear about your son, and you....   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mic

Thanks for the kind words from all of you. My dad thought I was bad #### because I could fix any reel he brought to me. Made me feel real good and I owe all of yawl that. It does take a village.

The spray can of penetrating oil I carry is AERO KROIL. It's made in Nashville TN. This stuff will take the kink out of a plow line. If you don't know what a plow line is, ask a local farmer. It don't say it on the can but I'll bet a dollar to a dog biscuit you could spray some of this KROIL on a brick and it will take the warts off your mother-in-laws nose. Good stuff to have in a pinch, just make sure your in a vented area. Wow, it will raise the top of your to where you could put off a haircut for another week.

Thanks again guys for all of yawls help~!

Mic

Bryan Young

I'm sorry about your dad Mic.  May he Rest In Peace.

I'm glad you got your treasured rod and reel back.  There's nothing like loosing something that brings great memories, but there is nothing better than getting it back.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Mic, a great story that your son won't forget. RIP to your dad. Glad you got that Abu back!