Luck

Started by Benni3, January 24, 2017, 03:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

x2 what Steve said - looks like 50s fibre glass. One of my uncles used to fish with a similar one - they were considered to be the cat's meow back then.

oc1

That's a much better photo.  You can see the Hexcell weave of the fiberglass.  Trevano/tobacco rod. The guide windings and oak handle look like Montague.  Too bad the Montague-marked mushroom butt cap is missing.  I don't think Montague made Trevano blanks so they may have been supplied by someone like California Tackle.  The OC 981 came out about the same time as the rod so they were probably bought new together.  That stiff springy mono might be original too.  Whoever worked on the reel last put the eccentric freespool lever on backwards.  It's a very nice rig that is probably as good and strong today as it was then (except for the line of course).  You dad has a good eye.  Send him back out for more.
-steve

Benni3

I got 6hybirds and marlo got 4hybirds 1cat and 1bass,,,,,,,, ;D

Benni3

Quote from: oc1 on November 07, 2019, 06:53:44 PM
That's a much better photo.  You can see the Hexcell weave of the fiberglass.  Trevano/tobacco rod. The guide windings and oak handle look like Montague.  Too bad the Montague-marked mushroom butt cap is missing.  I don't think Montague made Trevano blanks so they may have been supplied by someone like California Tackle.  The OC 981 came out about the same time as the rod so they were probably bought new together.  That stiff springy mono might be original too.  Whoever worked on the reel last put the eccentric freespool lever on backwards.  It's a very nice rig that is probably as good and strong today as it was then (except for the line of course).  You dad has a good eye.  Send him back out for more.
-steve
Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 07, 2019, 10:01:30 AM
x2 what Steve said - looks like 50s fibre glass. One of my uncles used to fish with a similar one - they were considered to be the cat's meow back then.
thanks very much my friends for the info,,,,,,, :D this one going fishing someday,,,,,,,, ;D

oc1

Quote from: Benni3 on November 07, 2019, 11:59:08 PM
this one going fishing someday,,,,,,,, ;D
Yeah, that would be a good choice if you want old school but don't want to worry about a breakdown.
-steve

Benni3

Got 2hybrids 1sunfish and marlo got 1 hybrid,,,, :D quick trip at the cove,,,,,, ;D

Benni3

Getting ready for the 24hr Rolex race,,,,,, :o on the stacy 5 headboat in morehead city nc,,,,, :D it's hard to figure out what gear to bring,,,, ::) so I'm going light 4/0 with 80lb braid on a magnuflex rod and my trout rod with 30lb braid,,, ;) let's see what happens,,,,, ;D

Benni3

We are here now,,,,, :) waiting,,,,got pulled over by the police for speeding,,,, :o but he let us go,,,,, ;) then had to stop and replace the throttle sensor on my friends xterra,,,,,, :D not a boring trip down to morehead city nc,,,,,, ;D

Alto Mare

I'm glad he let you go, but you need to slow down buddy.
The  Fish will wait for you and I don't need you and Marlo to get hurt😉.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

That's pretty special if you can diagnose and replace a throttle sensor without being late.
-steve

Swami805

Go Gettum Bennie!!!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Quote from: Benni3 on November 09, 2019, 03:01:02 AM
Getting ready for the 24hr Rolex race,,,,,, :o on the stacy 5 headboat in morehead city nc,,,,, :D it's hard to figure out what gear to bring,,,, ::) so I'm going light 4/0 with 80lb braid on a magnuflex rod and my trout rod with 30lb braid,,, ;) let's see what happens,,,,, ;D

"let's see what happens,,,,," Ha! I love it Benni. You're way ahead of me philosophically. When I's closer to your age, I's way too intense about getting my fishing equipment and technique as close to the accepted ways as I could. Nowadays I'm gettin it and it's much more fun. I even like the comments I get from the "experts" I'm fishing around.
One trip in the So. Cal. area, they were goin after Calico's etc., with sardines in the kelp near Malibu Beach, nothin doin, too early in the year. I start jiggin on the bottom with an 8lb. spinning outfit, gettin comments and even havin the concerned deckhand try to school me about the right way. Having never won a pool,  I didn't enter, but ended with the biggest fish(one a them red rockfish) and even got more than most others. Even had guys start askin serious questions about what I's doin. I think when it's slow like that, it's best to cover as much ground as you can with lighter gear.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Benni3

It started off great,,,, :) but it got a pretty cold,,,, :( and no room to stand inside the cabin,,, :-[ while the captain was driving around in circles waiting for the boats with the nets to come in behind us to get the fish we found,,,,, ??? But that's ok,,,,it ended good,,,,, ;D we still had a blast and got a lot of fish,,,,,,, ;D

oc1

It looks like it's rigged for shrimp trawling.  They discard a lot of by-catch that attracts fish.

So, where's the obligatory photos?
-steve

Swami805

Nice shot of the moon!  What did you catch Bennie?
Do what you can with that you have where you are