alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Luck
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
August 19, 2019, 12:52:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 115   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Luck  (Read 163308 times)
bchen and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Benni3

« Reply #825 on: July 31, 2018, 01:25:30 PM »

Benni what do those hybrids tats like?
I think there better than striper Tongue there great!!!
Rivverrat

« Reply #826 on: July 31, 2018, 04:18:30 PM »

& taste better than White Bass. Real nice Wiper Benni... Jeff
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #827 on: July 31, 2018, 04:41:09 PM »

sometimes I use length to width for a ball park Grin
Do you know the length?  Somewhere there's a formula or table for weight:length of wipers.  I'll have to look for it.  It gets tricky because the length to weight is different for the normal original cross (striped bass female, white bass male) versus the reciprocal cross (white bass female, striped bass male).  Yours is original cross and that's what's usually used for stocking.  Reciprocals are often used for farming.
-steve
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 04:42:25 PM by oc1 » Logged
swill88
Photo Group

« Reply #828 on: July 31, 2018, 06:46:27 PM »

Do you know the length?  Somewhere there's a formula or table for weight:length of wipers.  I'll have to look for it.  It gets tricky because the length to weight is different for the normal original cross (striped bass female, white bass male) versus the reciprocal cross (white bass female, striped bass male).  Yours is original cross and that's what's usually used for stocking.  Reciprocals are often used for farming.
-steve

Would love to hear more of the history of this breeding.  Was it started for sportfishing?  Aquaculture?  I'm ignorant on fish breeding (and other topics too).
Thanks.
Steve

Benni3

« Reply #829 on: July 31, 2018, 07:14:55 PM »

Skunked again Wink the cove closes 9:30 the bait fish where coming in and the hybrids,,,time to go  Grin

* 20180731_230633.jpg (4418.24 KB, 3999x2999 - viewed 38 times.)

* 20180731_230542.jpg (5484.29 KB, 3993x2995 - viewed 27 times.)
Benni3

« Reply #830 on: July 31, 2018, 07:46:56 PM »

-steve
va trophy fish hybrid is 24"or 8lb,,,,,the formula is close most the time,,,,I try to be accurate on the weight and length,,,,I have been looking at the spring scales  Grin
Benni3

« Reply #831 on: July 31, 2018, 07:47:43 PM »

& taste better than White Bass. Real nice Wiper Benni... Jeff
thanks man Grin
Benni3

« Reply #832 on: July 31, 2018, 08:08:43 PM »

Would love to hear more of the history of this breeding.  Was it started for sportfishing?  Aquaculture?  I'm ignorant on fish breeding (and other topics too).
Thanks.
Steve

[/quote]there's a lot of controversy on the gmo salmon and what there making too  Cool
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 08:15:40 PM by Benni3 » Logged
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #833 on: August 01, 2018, 03:19:23 AM »

Would love to hear more of the history of this breeding.  Was it started for sportfishing?  Aquaculture? 
The Santee Cooper lakes in South Carolina were created for hydro power in the 1930's.  Striped bass became landlocked and by the 1950's it was realized they were reproducing and made a popular sport fishery.  In the 1960's they started producing fingerlings in a local hatchery for release into the lakes.  Hatchery personnel would capture striper broodstock by electrofishing in the spring and a few white bass would come up with the stripers.  In the 1970's they made the first hybrid cross.... more out of curiosity than anything else.  I think Bob Stevens was the head hatchery guy back then and when he left/retired Jack Bayless took over.  The hybrids were found to grow faster than striped bass and larger than white bass.  They started stocking some hybrids after they were found to be sterile.  It worked, and other state fish hatcheries throughout the Southeast started doing it too.  In the late 1970's it was realized that hybrids could be farmed as a food crop and techniques were refined in the 1980's.  Commercial farming hybrids started to catch on wherever the regulations would allow.  One of the early ones was an indoor operation in California run by Steve Surfling.  Stocking for sport fishing continues on a large scale and there are a few commercial farms here and there.  It can be done, but the profit margins were/are slim and it is tightly regulated in most states to prevent wild sport fish from being sold into commercial markets.
-steve
swill88
Photo Group

« Reply #834 on: August 01, 2018, 06:07:45 AM »

Would love to hear more of the history of this breeding.  Was it started for sportfishing?  Aquaculture?  
The Santee Cooper lakes in South Carolina were created for hydro power in the 1930's.  Striped bass became landlocked and by the 1950's it was realized they were reproducing and made a popular sport fishery.  In the 1960's they started producing fingerlings in a local hatchery for release into the lakes.  Hatchery personnel would capture striper broodstock by electrofishing in the spring and a few white bass would come up with the stripers.  In the 1970's they made the first hybrid cross.... more out of curiosity than anything else.  I think Bob Stevens was the head hatchery guy back then and when he left/retired Jack Bayless took over.  The hybrids were found to grow faster than striped bass and larger than white bass.  They started stocking some hybrids after they were found to be sterile.  It worked, and other state fish hatcheries throughout the Southeast started doing it too.  In the late 1970's it was realized that hybrids could be farmed as a food crop and techniques were refined in the 1980's.  Commercial farming hybrids started to catch on wherever the regulations would allow.  One of the early ones was an indoor operation in California run by Steve Surfling.  Stocking for sport fishing continues on a large scale and there are a few commercial farms here and there.  It can be done, but the profit margins were/are slim and it is tightly regulated in most states to prevent wild sport fish from being sold into commercial markets.
-steve

So THIS is why Benni and Marlo are always catching.  I was ready to go find a 20/0 Grin

Thanks for the info guys.

steve
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 06:08:22 AM by swill88 » Logged
Benni3

« Reply #835 on: August 01, 2018, 06:22:32 PM »

Would love to hear more of the history of this breeding.  Was it started for sportfishing?  Aquaculture? 
The Santee Cooper lakes in South Carolina were created for hydro power in the 1930's.  Striped bass became landlocked and by the 1950's it was realized they were reproducing and made a popular sport fishery.  In the 1960's they started producing fingerlings in a local hatchery for release into the lakes.  Hatchery personnel would capture striper broodstock by electrofishing in the spring and a few white bass would come up with the stripers.  In the 1970's they made the first hybrid cross.... more out of curiosity than anything else.  I think Bob Stevens was the head hatchery guy back then and when he left/retired Jack Bayless took over.  The hybrids were found to grow faster than striped bass and larger than white bass.  They started stocking some hybrids after they were found to be sterile.  It worked, and other state fish hatcheries throughout the Southeast started doing it too.  In the late 1970's it was realized that hybrids could be farmed as a food crop and techniques were refined in the 1980's.  Commercial farming hybrids started to catch on wherever the regulations would allow.  One of the early ones was an indoor operation in California run by Steve Surfling.  Stocking for sport fishing continues on a large scale and there are a few commercial farms here and there.  It can be done, but the profit margins were/are slim and it is tightly regulated in most states to prevent wild sport fish from being sold into commercial markets.
-steve
I have herd the story on the golden trout in vw,,,,and the gmo salmon escaping in south America,,,,but this one is just as good and I have never heard it,,,, very cool my friend thanks Grin
Benni3

« Reply #836 on: August 01, 2018, 06:33:33 PM »

Best to you brother.
There is a lake really close to where I live. Less than a 1/2 mile away.
I am going to make it a point to start fishing fresh water as much as possible.
As much as I love fishing the gulf. I need to keep it real. Wink
I haven't fresh water fished in years.
I have been so obsessed with catching saltwater fish, that I have forgotten my roots.

when your ready to go freshwater fishing let me know I will give you all the tips me and my friends know to help you get the big one Grin
Benni3

« Reply #837 on: August 02, 2018, 06:11:30 PM »

Got 1 cat today  Smiley spent most of my time getting wind knots out of the 30lb power pro Cheesy I'm going with fins Grin

* 20180802_220030.jpg (5550.44 KB, 2919x4032 - viewed 31 times.)
Rivverrat

« Reply #838 on: August 03, 2018, 05:24:14 AM »

Benni...  love your thread.  Switching line brand is usually a good thing. We can learn from it.

But I have to ask, are you sure the wind knots are the lines fault or maybe something with technique ?

I have found in my case & with most others wind knots come about most times for reasons other than the line we are using.

Wishing to be helpful. I know what little I know from my own frustration & mistakes or some one showing me...Jeff

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 01:51:39 PM by Rivverrat » Logged
Benni3

« Reply #839 on: August 03, 2018, 06:21:30 AM »

You have a good point,,,first time I use it the only boat on the lake that day ran over it with his trolling motor  Huh?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 115   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: