Luck

Started by Benni3, January 24, 2017, 03:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 31, 2018, 12:38:07 PM
Benni what do those hybrids tats like?
I think there better than striper :P there great!!!

Rivverrat

& taste better than White Bass. Real nice Wiper Benni... Jeff

oc1

Quote from: Benni3 on July 31, 2018, 09:22:27 PM
sometimes I use length to width for a ball park ;D
Do you know the length?  Somewhere there's a formula or table for weight:length of wipers.  I'll have to look for it.  It gets tricky because the length to weight is different for the normal original cross (striped bass female, white bass male) versus the reciprocal cross (white bass female, striped bass male).  Yours is original cross and that's what's usually used for stocking.  Reciprocals are often used for farming.
-steve

swill88

Quote from: oc1 on August 01, 2018, 12:41:09 AM
Do you know the length?  Somewhere there's a formula or table for weight:length of wipers.  I'll have to look for it.  It gets tricky because the length to weight is different for the normal original cross (striped bass female, white bass male) versus the reciprocal cross (white bass female, striped bass male).  Yours is original cross and that's what's usually used for stocking.  Reciprocals are often used for farming.
-steve

Would love to hear more of the history of this breeding.  Was it started for sportfishing?  Aquaculture?  I'm ignorant on fish breeding (and other topics too).
Thanks.
Steve

Benni3

Skunked again ;) the cove closes 9:30 the bait fish where coming in and the hybrids,,,time to go  ;D

Benni3

Quote from: oc1 on August 01, 2018, 12:41:09 AM
-steve
va trophy fish hybrid is 24"or 8lb,,,,,the formula is close most the time,,,,I try to be accurate on the weight and length,,,,I have been looking at the spring scales  ;D

Benni3

Quote from: Rivverrat on August 01, 2018, 12:18:30 AM
& taste better than White Bass. Real nice Wiper Benni... Jeff
thanks man ;D

Benni3

Would love to hear more of the history of this breeding.  Was it started for sportfishing?  Aquaculture?  I'm ignorant on fish breeding (and other topics too).
Thanks.
Steve

[/quote]there's a lot of controversy on the gmo salmon and what there making too  8)

oc1

Quote from: swill88 on August 01, 2018, 02:46:27 AM
Would love to hear more of the history of this breeding.  Was it started for sportfishing?  Aquaculture? 
The Santee Cooper lakes in South Carolina were created for hydro power in the 1930's.  Striped bass became landlocked and by the 1950's it was realized they were reproducing and made a popular sport fishery.  In the 1960's they started producing fingerlings in a local hatchery for release into the lakes.  Hatchery personnel would capture striper broodstock by electrofishing in the spring and a few white bass would come up with the stripers.  In the 1970's they made the first hybrid cross.... more out of curiosity than anything else.  I think Bob Stevens was the head hatchery guy back then and when he left/retired Jack Bayless took over.  The hybrids were found to grow faster than striped bass and larger than white bass.  They started stocking some hybrids after they were found to be sterile.  It worked, and other state fish hatcheries throughout the Southeast started doing it too.  In the late 1970's it was realized that hybrids could be farmed as a food crop and techniques were refined in the 1980's.  Commercial farming hybrids started to catch on wherever the regulations would allow.  One of the early ones was an indoor operation in California run by Steve Surfling.  Stocking for sport fishing continues on a large scale and there are a few commercial farms here and there.  It can be done, but the profit margins were/are slim and it is tightly regulated in most states to prevent wild sport fish from being sold into commercial markets.
-steve

swill88

Quote from: oc1 on August 01, 2018, 11:19:23 AM
Would love to hear more of the history of this breeding.  Was it started for sportfishing?  Aquaculture?  
The Santee Cooper lakes in South Carolina were created for hydro power in the 1930's.  Striped bass became landlocked and by the 1950's it was realized they were reproducing and made a popular sport fishery.  In the 1960's they started producing fingerlings in a local hatchery for release into the lakes.  Hatchery personnel would capture striper broodstock by electrofishing in the spring and a few white bass would come up with the stripers.  In the 1970's they made the first hybrid cross.... more out of curiosity than anything else.  I think Bob Stevens was the head hatchery guy back then and when he left/retired Jack Bayless took over.  The hybrids were found to grow faster than striped bass and larger than white bass.  They started stocking some hybrids after they were found to be sterile.  It worked, and other state fish hatcheries throughout the Southeast started doing it too.  In the late 1970's it was realized that hybrids could be farmed as a food crop and techniques were refined in the 1980's.  Commercial farming hybrids started to catch on wherever the regulations would allow.  One of the early ones was an indoor operation in California run by Steve Surfling.  Stocking for sport fishing continues on a large scale and there are a few commercial farms here and there.  It can be done, but the profit margins were/are slim and it is tightly regulated in most states to prevent wild sport fish from being sold into commercial markets.
-steve

So THIS is why Benni and Marlo are always catching.  I was ready to go find a 20/0 ;D

Thanks for the info guys.

steve

Benni3

Quote from: oc1 on August 01, 2018, 11:19:23 AM
Would love to hear more of the history of this breeding.  Was it started for sportfishing?  Aquaculture? 
The Santee Cooper lakes in South Carolina were created for hydro power in the 1930's.  Striped bass became landlocked and by the 1950's it was realized they were reproducing and made a popular sport fishery.  In the 1960's they started producing fingerlings in a local hatchery for release into the lakes.  Hatchery personnel would capture striper broodstock by electrofishing in the spring and a few white bass would come up with the stripers.  In the 1970's they made the first hybrid cross.... more out of curiosity than anything else.  I think Bob Stevens was the head hatchery guy back then and when he left/retired Jack Bayless took over.  The hybrids were found to grow faster than striped bass and larger than white bass.  They started stocking some hybrids after they were found to be sterile.  It worked, and other state fish hatcheries throughout the Southeast started doing it too.  In the late 1970's it was realized that hybrids could be farmed as a food crop and techniques were refined in the 1980's.  Commercial farming hybrids started to catch on wherever the regulations would allow.  One of the early ones was an indoor operation in California run by Steve Surfling.  Stocking for sport fishing continues on a large scale and there are a few commercial farms here and there.  It can be done, but the profit margins were/are slim and it is tightly regulated in most states to prevent wild sport fish from being sold into commercial markets.
-steve
I have herd the story on the golden trout in vw,,,,and the gmo salmon escaping in south America,,,,but this one is just as good and I have never heard it,,,, very cool my friend thanks ;D

Benni3

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 29, 2018, 05:10:17 AM
Best to you brother.
There is a lake really close to where I live. Less than a 1/2 mile away.
I am going to make it a point to start fishing fresh water as much as possible.
As much as I love fishing the gulf. I need to keep it real. ;)
I haven't fresh water fished in years.
I have been so obsessed with catching saltwater fish, that I have forgotten my roots.

when your ready to go freshwater fishing let me know I will give you all the tips me and my friends know to help you get the big one ;D

Benni3

Got 1 cat today  :) spent most of my time getting wind knots out of the 30lb power pro :D I'm going with fins ;D

Rivverrat

Benni...  love your thread.  Switching line brand is usually a good thing. We can learn from it.

But I have to ask, are you sure the wind knots are the lines fault or maybe something with technique ?

I have found in my case & with most others wind knots come about most times for reasons other than the line we are using.

Wishing to be helpful. I know what little I know from my own frustration & mistakes or some one showing me...Jeff

Benni3

You have a good point,,,first time I use it the only boat on the lake that day ran over it with his trolling motor  ???