Dam Quick , as you find them

Started by theswimmer, January 26, 2017, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

Road side find , in my travels.
Dam 550 , still has lots of life left🍻
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

foakes

Looks great, Jonathan --

Drop it off when you can -- for a complete overhaul and restore.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

I had to smile   ;D

when I saw the title of this thread. 

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

theswimmer

Thanks Fred ,
I couldn't get the $8 out of my pocket quick enough.

John I have a weird sense of humor.....
I thought us Quick fans need our own As you find them thread.

Best, Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

The Fishing Hobby

I will contribute a 440N to this thread, as I found it  ;D
Another sub-$10 reel. $9 at a local flea market!

SilverRidge

Flea markets and garage, lawn sales are the places to pick up good bargains, was at a fishing tackle store in Jupiter Florida the other day, talking to the owner and asked if he had any vintage reels, he pulls out a beat up and I mean nasty, salt water corrosion all over it, model 550 he wanted $50 for it, I asked how he arrived at that price, he couldn't give me a logical answer, waste of time talking to some people ....

theswimmer

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on May 13, 2017, 04:22:53 AM
I will contribute a 440N to this thread, as I found it  ;D
Another sub-$10 reel. $9 at a local flea market!

Looks to be in fine condition!

Errol Flynn

The Fishing Hobby

It is, everything works as it should. Just waiting its turn in line for cleanup and relube. Great buy.

Rivverrat

Pretty rough !  May turn out to be a parts reels. The handle has a bit of play from a pin replacement that doesnt fit.
The bearing is probably shot & the drive gear while not completely shot is very worn.
Only gave $ 12.00 for it. Parts I feel are worth that....Jeff

foakes

If that were mine, Jeff --

I would put in a new main gear, bearing, crank pin, new set of drags, new bail spring, strip and polish the spool, polish all parts inside the case -- particularly the inside of the worm drive gear, crank axle housing, and the spool shaft, do a complete cleaning and modern lube -- then fish it hard for another 40 years.

This reel is as tough as reels come.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Quote from: foakes on September 03, 2017, 11:35:12 PM
If that were mine, Jeff --

I would put in a new main gear, bearing, crank pin, new set of drags, new bail spring, strip and polish the spool, polish all parts inside the case -- particularly the inside of the worm drive gear, crank axle housing, and the spool shaft, do a complete cleaning and modern lube -- then fish it hard for another 40 years.

This reel is as tough as reels come.

Best,

Fred

Fred, I have, I think, 4 more Supers coming.  I just pulled the bearing on this reel from the sonic cleaner & cant believe it, but I think it's fine. The slot in the handle is wollard out where it fits the flats on the  shaft.

Yup! I think this one will be brought back from the dead.  

I'm glad I dont drink no more. Other wise I'd have no money from buying booze & these DAM Quicks.... Jeff

foakes

You can shim the handle, Jeff --

Grease up the main bearing after letting it soak in Synthetic oil for 10 minutes --

DAM Quicks are quite a bit cheaper than booze!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

mo65

Those Supers are built like a tank. The drag system could be doubled in power and still not even begin to hurt the reel. I'm curious Jeff...is this reel one of the "loaners" you are setting up? Great choice if so...the Super is a strong, simple, reliable reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Quote from: mo65 on September 04, 2017, 04:18:28 PM
  Those Supers are built like a tank. The drag system could be doubled in power and still not even begin to hurt the reel. I'm curious Jeff...is this reel one of the "loaners" you are setting up? Great choice if so...the Super is a strong, simple, reliable reel. 8)
Yes it is. Although I've become so taken with the Supers I've 3 or 5 lost count, any way more are coming one or 2 of which will be personal reels.
Ive become more careful as to what I say regarding these reels & communicating my exact feelings about them on the internet.
To many people watching.... Jeff  ;D

Rivverrat

Quote from: foakes on September 04, 2017, 12:43:09 AM
You can shim the handle, Jeff --

Fred

Yup I have already filed the wollard out portion on the crank flat & will be making shims from brass stock I have.