Dam Quick , as you find them

Started by theswimmer, January 26, 2017, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

I love finding a good buy on a Googan reel almost as much as clean ones at times.

Plenty of usable parts here on this one... Jeff

Gfish

Quote from: mo65 on July 25, 2019, 10:22:40 PM
Quote from: Rivverrat on July 25, 2019, 09:25:20 PM
   Neither has the marks of a Googan using an ill fitting tool.

That is the kind of find that excites me. We have a "photo of the month" thread. I think we need a "quote of the month"...and this quote is a great place to start! 8)

Hey, I resemble that remark. Yesterday my only options to chase the threads on 2 Accuframe rod clamp studs, were holding them with a visegrips( no tape, wouldn't work) and the bare metal jaws of a vice. The stud threads ended-up better 'n before, but the frame, nut and locking nuts all suffered a bit. Everything works now, though. 62 and still not enough patience...
"Googan" maybe a "user name?"
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

Been looking for a wine-red color DAM Quick Junior for a while with no luck.  So I settled for this Herter's 109, which appears to be similar to the Quick Junior № 240 model 54 with the altered egg-shaped housing introduced in 1954.

This specimen is in very good shape, I'll give it an 8 out of 10. The bail wasn't working on this one, but 5 minutes later I got it going.  Everything else is functioning very well.  I wouldn't hesitate to fish it as is, but I'll do a breakdown at a later date.

I have an old Junior stashed away somewhere that has a disfigured bail trip ramp.  The pinion and drive gear on these Juniors are constructed of a material that Fred describes as "Dupontsche Nylonstrümpfe."  ;D

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on January 29, 2020, 06:20:01 PM
Been looking for a wine-red color DAM Quick Junior for a while with no luck.  So I settled for this Herter's 109, which appears to be similar to the Quick Junior № 240 model 54 with the altered egg-shaped housing introduced in 1954.

Yep, same reel, different badge. Keep in mind that Dam also distributed some, but not many, black Juniors.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

I know nothing about Dam Quick reels, but thought they all came from West Germany. I recently came upon a Dam Quick with seperate riveted on medallion the says "Berlin West". Is it a copycat of the west German version ?? As normal, I'm confused
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

You are right, Ted --

All of the DQ reels after WWII were manufactured in West Germany -- until the late 80's when production shifted to Asia.

DQ made a few various models of reels for retail stores such as Herter's, Sears, etc.. -- and these generally had a different riveted model number.  But they all came from the plants in West Germany (Gunzenhausen) or Western Berlin.  

Yours is possibly one of these trade reels.

Post a pic...

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

I have a 270 that has Berlin West on it.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

basto

Also have a 285 with Berlin West on it and am getting a 280 with brown side plate next week with Berlin West on it.
I will post pics next week.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

foakes

"Berlin West" was just an earlier badging on some of the DQ reels -- generally from the mid 50's to early 60's.

D.A.M. was in business since the latter part of the 19th century.

Their manufacturing plant was destroyed during WWII.

So to comply with the Allied rules and regulations -- DQ labeled their initial Post War production reel (the Standard) --

S.W. 68.

This meant that it was an approved manufactured product -- and it was produced in the Southwest quadrant of area 68 --
in West Berlin.

Later, as regulations eased -- subsequent reels were labeled "Berlin West".  

Later, after the manufacturing was moved from West Berlin to a new facility in Gunzenhausen -- just a model number badge -- plus the words "Made in West Germany" on the underside of the stand.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

The one I had, the "Berlin West" was on a separate badge about the size of a dime in lower corner of main housing

Can't post a picture, cause I just sent it off to a forum member. Maybe he can post pics after it arrives
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

festus

Here's my first DAM reel that isn't made in Germany.  It's the SL2, made in Japan.  Out of the box, the bail wire was scraping the drag knob at the top of the spool's stroke.  No problem, I removed the bail nut and bent the wire back into place in a matter of seconds.  There is some slop in the handle, but a washer might take care of that. 

Can't find a schematic online. Might be able to work through without it. 

Reminds me of a Ryobi or one of the lower end Daiwa.

wailua boy

not sure if this helps

festus

Quote from: wailua boy on March 05, 2020, 09:36:36 PM
not sure if this helps
Thanks, wailua boy, sure it helps.  Not sure if this one has a ball bearing, at least it doesn't say on the cover.  This one has the oscillation loop type arm instead of the extra crosswind gear system.